DSP for convolution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any DSPs available that can perform brutefir style convolution?

I'm hoping for something that's not terribly hard to program. I've seen some of the projects in progress on the forums, but they seem to have a different purpose.

I have a good soundcard from which I'd like to pass spdif pcm to a DSP for room correction, and possibly crossover duties as well.

Thanks

fb said:
Are there any DSPs available that can perform brutefir style convolution?

I'm hoping for something that's not terribly hard to program.
Thanks

Generally speaking, DSP and 'easy to program' don't really go together. Having spent some time years ago playing with some Motorola boards (56007, 56362), I would suggest that you would spend far less time, effort and money silencing the PC and going that route rather than looking into coding up a custom DSP solution.

Having said that, the Analog devices SHARC units seem to be the most prevalent. This one for example http://www.analog.com/en/epHSProd/0,2461,21364-HARDWARE,00.html runs ~$500 and has spdif in/out and should have enough horsepower to handle long convolutions depending on algorithm.

ezkcdude said:
Sounds like a job for an FPGA!

Would be an interesting challenge - I'm not sure whether there are any FPGA solutions with the audio glue already there, though. I've been eyeing the TS-7300 from embeddedarm for a while, and it might be viable although you'd need to get the audio into the fpga somehow. Pretty much nixed by the 'easy to program' requirement, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.