HELP! Trouble with Philips CDM1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a ARCAM Delta170 transport , and it comes with the Philips CDM1. When the unit is turned on, i inserted a disc and it reads disc error, and unable to read TOC. Eject the disc, leave the unit on for about 20seconds, try again and it functions normally.

I opened the player and take a look. Upon powering up and before i insert a disc, the motor simply keeps on spinning at full RPM. Upon inserting the disc.....the tray 'throws' the disc onto the spinning spindle motor, causing the 'clanging'. And no TOC. Therefore i ejected the disc and see what happens after the 20seconds period i mentioned. The motor stops spinning after about 20seconds, insert the disc and everything was playing normally again.

So long as i follow the warming up period before i insert disc, i get trouble free playing all the way. I had done a replacement for the entire transport mechanism with a spare working set that i keep for years, and the same problems occur, so i would rule out the laser and transport mechanisms as the cause.

Can anyone advice what i can do next to narrow down to the problem ?

Reactions: 1 user
Re: Where to buy SAA7210 ?

wckong said:
Hi All,
Anyone knows where to buy a new SAA7210?
I have similar issue with my Philips cd 104.

Well sometimes this is one of the symptoms of dry joints (search this forum for "griplets" ). basically replace the wire links that join both sides of both boards. It takes a while but is worth it , as it will probably need doing at some point anyway

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.