Disk Needs Help Spinning - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
delory is offline delory  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Disk Needs Help Spinning

Hi guys,

I know I've seen a similar problem on here somewhere, but... just been playing around with a Nad C540 player which seems to be having a problem spinning the disk. I've replaced the laser (Sanyo SFP101) and when you press play, the drawer closes, laser tracks, but disk does not spin.

I checked the motor was ok (with a battery) so when the drawer closed and laser came up, I gave the disk a little helping hand and spun it with my finger. And up came the TOC!

So I'm guessing the problem is either with the motor, or the power to the motor? Would I be right? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.
Old 10th September 2007, 02:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Make sure that the vertical placement of the mechanism is not obstructing the spindle-motor free spinning. In other words, make sure that the 4 springs are properly seated around rubber "distancers" and the screws are fully tightened.

I can tell that you eventually got TOC, but I'll ask anyway: did you remove the static-protective solder blob from the laser pick - up? (you probably didÖ. didnít you?)

Good luck

Boky
Old 10th September 2007, 03:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sounds very likely that you just need to spray a bit of silicone-based spray lubricant into the bottom end of the platter motor.
Old 14th September 2007, 04:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If the motor keeps spinning after you start it with your finger, then I'd guess one phase of the motor driver chip is blown. Replace the chip. (I'm assuming the spindle motor is a brushless DC motor)
Old 14th September 2007, 07:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If it is a brushed motor (typically a tiny mabuchi thingy, only 2-wire connection), then the commutator may simply be dirty/worn. Since the typical runnng voltage is only a volt or so, maybe 3v to start, they can get quite 'sticky' with age. Pushing to start it robably just gets it to a cleaner segment.

The easy fix is usually just to de-solder the two wires to the motor, and 'buzz' it on 9v each way for s few soconds. Lubricate, replace wires, try again.

Hide this!Advertise here!