worth replacing the pcm56p-k in an old cd player? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2007, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default worth replacing the pcm56p-k in an old cd player?

Hi, greeting from a novice.

I got a Denon dcd-1700 from a 2nd-hand equipment store, am aware the model is 18 years old, and it used to be a top-of-the-line model from Denon.

I am quite impressed with the built quality of this machine (it is really built-like-a-tank), and it does play reliably even with cd-r discs. It seems to me it could be a keeper so I am toying with the idea of doing some modification on it.

Being a novice, i am only aware of the simplest modifications, namely, replacing the caps and op ams at the analogue output stage (done).

Now, I am enticed by the notion that the 16-bit pcm56p-k can be replaced by a pin compatible 18-bit pcm61p.

Can use some advice on the following :

1. Does replacing the pcm56p by an pcm61p "automatically' give me an 18-bit decoding player ? That the pcm61p has the in-built capability to add the extra 2-bits of data to the 16-bit CD signal for decoding, and no extra component need to be added to realize true 18-bit decoding.

2. Is there a significant audio quality improvement for such modification ? Or should other modification take priority?

Thanks
Old 7th September 2007, 07:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For the pcm61 the digital filter would have to output 18bit but it does not. Anyway the 61 is not better.
Old 7th September 2007, 09:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernhard
For the pcm61 the digital filter would have to output 18bit but it does not. Anyway the 61 is not better.

Thanks for the input Bernhard
Old 8th September 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
lucpes is offline lucpes  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
What I would do is socket the things and also get the AD equivalents which are AD1852 and AD1861 as far as I remember - I mean why not play around a bit

Hide this!Advertise here!