worth replacing the pcm56p-k in an old cd player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, greeting from a novice.

I got a Denon dcd-1700 from a 2nd-hand equipment store, am aware the model is 18 years old, and it used to be a top-of-the-line model from Denon.

I am quite impressed with the built quality of this machine (it is really built-like-a-tank), and it does play reliably even with cd-r discs. It seems to me it could be a keeper so I am toying with the idea of doing some modification on it.

Being a novice, i am only aware of the simplest modifications, namely, replacing the caps and op ams at the analogue output stage (done).

Now, I am enticed by the notion that the 16-bit pcm56p-k can be replaced by a pin compatible 18-bit pcm61p.

Can use some advice on the following :

1. Does replacing the pcm56p by an pcm61p "automatically' give me an 18-bit decoding player ? That the pcm61p has the in-built capability to add the extra 2-bits of data to the 16-bit CD signal for decoding, and no extra component need to be added to realize true 18-bit decoding.

2. Is there a significant audio quality improvement for such modification ? Or should other modification take priority?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.