USB soundcard for laptop 24bit with resampling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone give me some advice what usb soundcard to buy.
I'm looking for a high quality soundcard for my laptop.
Specifications: 24 bit resolutions, resampling and 96 KHz or higher. The number of channels is not important for me.
I just want audiophile music quality out of my laptop.

(Is an external power supply better, because you haven't spikes comming out from the power supply of the laptop):whazzat:

All input is welcome:)

Hi,
have a look at the thread on DiyHiFi.org
They have not reached agreement and probably never will.
But, reading through it seems to indicate that PCs can never achieve good audio if microsoft are involved in the audio software routing. That is if I have understood the various (very different) stands the contributors have taken.

Hello!

I'm using Winamp (with ASIO output plugin) on a laptop with the E-MU 0202 USB soundcard. With ASIO you will bypass all the microsoft sh*t and the dac will receive bit perfect data.
The card also supports "all" datarates without resampling because it uses two clocks!
Not high-end but the sound is good for the price.

:D

(The E-MU 0404 USB is even better and you can use an external power supply.)

Jonasa said:
Can someone give me some advice what usb soundcard to buy.
I'm looking for a high quality soundcard for my laptop.
Specifications: 24 bit resolutions, resampling and 96 KHz or higher. The number of channels is not important for me.
I just want audiophile music quality out of my laptop.

(Is an external power supply better, because you haven't spikes comming out from the power supply of the laptop):whazzat:

All input is welcome:)

Well, hopefully this is not against forum rules, but you might want to take a look at the ebay link in my sig.

I personally consider BurrBrown's PCM 2702 to be one of the best sounding USB interfaced DAC around. However, it only does 16bits and up to 48KHz (44.1 and 32KHz too)

However, the quality of sound is not completely controlled by how many bits and KHz that the DAC can handle. A lot of it has to do with how good the quality of the power supply (Any sound card drawing power from PC will have a hard time cleaning it up to the point of sounding good), and the one shown there is completely powered via its own power supply that source its power from your AC mains. As well as the actual design had been tweaked and tuned quite a bit over the evolution of this unit.

Anyways, if this device tickles your fancy, I should be able to tell you more of whatever you want to know about it (I've been playing with this since V1.0, and now I believe it's been through like 5~6 update and maybe one redesigns over the span of about 4 years).

:)

Good usb card

Thanks to all for the answers.

The UA-1EX looks very interesting to me. But I have a few questions:
Does it also use a second clock?
It uses power directly from USB, is this not a disadvantage?
Did anybody compares the UA-1EX with an other USB soundcard powered directly from the mains?

For the price and compactness it seems the UA-1EX is a topper?

Re: Good usb card

Jonasa said:
Thanks to all for the answers.

The UA-1EX looks very interesting to me. But I have a few questions:
Does it also use a second clock?
It uses power directly from USB, is this not a disadvantage?
Did anybody compares the UA-1EX with an other USB soundcard powered directly from the mains?

For the price and compactness it seems the UA-1EX is a topper?

I personally consider a independent power supply an advantage, as during one of the several experiment me and my friends hand done with USB sound devices, USB power is one of the thing that takes away the "Magic" of what makes it sound good to us.

If you can find one that can either be powered from your computer or a separate power supply, it will usually sound better with the separate power supply (if the separate power supply isn't already worse than the power from your computer, that is.)

UA-1EX

So, a small nice project would be to use the UA-1EX powered by a small battery.

Then you don't have the spikes and noise from the powersupply from the laptop.

Recept for a nearly perfect USB DAC for laptop:

1. Buy a UA-1EX
2. Disconnect the 2 powerlines inside the USB cable. (you can use a small extention cable for USB to do this)
3. Don't use the two power USB wires from the laptop (isolate them)
4. Extend the two power wires from the soundcard and connect a battery between them.
5. Now you can test: with extention cable and battery, and without extention cable and PC power.

What do you think about this setup? Would it make sense?
Will it improve soundquality?

All suggestions are welcome. ;) :whazzat:

UA-1EX

I have bought a UA-1EX and I'm happy with it.
So today I did some tests.
I have used winamp and the sound was better than with the soundcard of my laptop computer.
Then I've downloaded the asio driver for winamp plugin but it doesn't work. I have sound but, with some small ticking in it.

I've also the pc program Tracktor DJ and this player works fine with the asio drivers and the UA-1EX.

I did also a comparison with the UA-1EX powered on a separated power supply.
I've made a special cable so I can do the test with separated power supply and battery power.
Below you can see a foto of my USB extention cable with the powerline outside.;)

Attachments

• dscn2058.jpg
    dscn2058.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 199
Test UA-1EX with separated power supply:

First test with my big laboratorium powersupply (voltage 5 V)
Sound was more sweeter, softer and warmer.
I have asked my wife and she came to the same conclusion.
The UQ-1EX stops playing when I turned the voltage down to 3.8V.

Second test:
I have used 3 new batteries of 1.59V So in total I had 4.7V.
The UA-1EX plays fine.
The sound was nearly the same as with my labo power supply.
So it is not worth to use batteries but now I'm looking for a small 5V supper stabilised power supply. someone suggestion?

Hope I did some interesting test.:) ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: USB soundcard...

bulgin said:
Also perhaps have a look at Edirol (Roland) USB Audio Interface UA-1EX. I like it a lot after trying many others.

I picked up a used Edirol UA-25. After a number of dissappointments with USB DACs i am quite pleased with it. It worked with no added software on my iBook, The additional System Preference allows one to turn up the size of the RAM Buffer.

It is bus powered and the trick with the USB extension cable and a battery (or regged PS) is a good one...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.