Adding volume control to Lite DAC-AH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just took apart my Lite DAC-AH, and it looks like, with a minimal amount of metal work, I could fit an Alps potentiometer where the power button is. I figured I'd mount the pot. on the inner front panel. Although, the shaft may need to be lengthened somehow.

But the question is, where is the best place to insert this into the circuit? I was thinking between the DACs and the OP-Amps. But, I'm not sure where exactly to connect things, as I don't know how many layers these PCBs have. Two? I figured it would be a bad idea to insert it after the op-amps, as that could cause capacitance issues with some interconnects.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. I have a feeling this could be quite useful to many people. If you only have one source and one (or 2 monoblock) amplifier, this could get eliminate the need for a preamp/passive attenuator. My system is iMac > DAC-AH > 300B monoblocks, and using digital volume control isn't working well, since any noise from the DAC is being being amplified at full strength, and is quite audible sometimes.

Here's the schematic: http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC/dac_ah_circuit_new.JPG

thanks,

Jay

OK, I somewhat solved the problem, at least electronically. The left channel is easier to modify due to the way the PCB is laid out, so that's all I've done. First what I did was score the circuit board connection between the top of R35 and U14 pin 3. Then I put the potentiometer (an 80k Alps unit I happened to have) in parallel with R35 and took the output to the through hole next to R28, which conveniently runs to U14 pin 3.

Although it does work, when turning the pot. it goes from silent to almost a little too loud for normal listening very quickly. How could this be remedied? With a different value pot?

Jay

Attachments

• modified dac-ah.jpg
    modified dac-ah.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 405
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.