Bathed in Green Light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found my early 80s Philips CD303 which weighs a ton compared to modern players and has a real chunky solidly mounted platter. What I'd never realised is that there are two more more green LEDs on either side of the carriage. Was that idea pinched by Krell and other?

The sound wasn't much though.

I am wondering whether to sell it for nothing, or keep it for nostalgic reasons. Is the machine wanted? Any views?

I am wondering whether to sell it for nothing, or keep it for nostalgic reasons. Is the machine wanted? Any views

Depends.
If it contains the SAA7220 / TDA154X chipset I wouldn't sell it.

Just had some feedback from a guy that owns a Euro 3000 :att'n: Linn cd player.
I gave him a modified 1988 player, non-oversampling, low jitter clock, synchronous reclocking, "passive I/V TDA1543", plus some more tweaks.
His impressions:
Compared to the Linn there is some slight treble rollof, but bass goes lower is faster and tighter and most important, it's way more musically sounding.:eek:
Who needs 192kHz/24bit ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Who needs 192kHz/24bit ;)

Hi Rudolf, I want to add: who needs multichannel ?

The experiences you have with a modified oldie from Philips are very similar to mine. Unfortunately we're not the only ones that seem to like them. Prices are rising and I even heard of export of those oldies to Japan ! The lasers are a problem though since they are virtually impossible to find. Continuity is an issue because of that.
Apart from that it is very nice to enjoy the sound of 16 bit Philips DAC's ...

BTW doesn't the 303 have TDA1540's ( 14 bit :bawling: ) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.