Comments on Onkyo DX-703

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
acid_k2 said:
hi ACD

Sometimes (old) Onkyo cdplayers have some problems in tracking-focus, and in spindle motor...
I'm working on a DX-1500 with similar problem... :bawling:

ACD said:
Thanks acid_k2
Let me know if you come up with a solution :cannotbe:

Does the transport use standard Mabuchi motor with brushes?

If that's the case, and the problem still remains after the mandatory transport cleaning + regreasing/relubing, you could try the "reversing fix" for the spindle motor.

Just search some of the threads here for the description of the procedure.

Haven't done it myself, but it has been reported to cure the skiping on the first/second track of the cd.

But, be warned, it's said that it can also damage the motor! :dead:

Or you could be better of with disassemblying and cleaning the motor (if you can).

Hope it helps!

save yourself some time and aggravation - go ahead and replace the spindle motor with a new one.
at different points in time, i've had a DX-5700, DX-6800 and DX-706.
the Integra line of Onkyo (before becoming a separate entity) made some pretty decent products. unfortunately, they all used those cheap Mabuchi motors that wear out after a few years, especially with heavy use.
FYI, I believe the older laser assemblies are no longer available either ...

Good luck!

mlloyd1

My DX-6920 (same as the DX-703) also was a bit jumpy at certain positions when I got it... turned out that a little cleaning of the pickup rails was all that was needed. Replaced a Technics SL-PG200A here (much quicker mechanics, but the sound, ewww). It doesn't do half bad against a Terratec Aureon Sky, just a bit more diffuse sounding... jitter perhaps? I take it that early sigma delta DACs like the SM5861s aren't the most jitter resistant ones ever... (Anyone ever looked into that?)

It's funny how the lesser Onkyos seem to be less problematic than their higher-end models, which tend to be plagued by spindle motor issues and use exotic pickups. The smaller models employ bog standard Sony pickups (like a KSS-210A in case of the 703).
The '703 already shows slight signs of cost-cutting efforts (plastic tray, opamps 4565s only - ye olde 2800 two years earlier still used mostly 5532s in the output stage, and the 1400 and 1800 did anyway as they only required one for their multi-bit DACs [PCM61/AD1860]), but the downsizing became quite apparent in the DX-7x10 generation. Given that it has a digital output, it's not the worst piece of kit to start with anyway. (The 705 was mostly identical save for a metal tray, variable output and "music file system".)

Originally posted by sgrossklass
It's funny how the lesser Onkyos seem to be less problematic than their higher-end models, which tend to be plagued by spindle motor issues ...

yeah, is is interesting. maybe the higher models' heavier platters cause increased spindle motor wear? anatek and magura shared some interesting thoughts on this in another thread (maybe on vdrs transports?)

acd:
here is one link for you regarding onkyo spindle motors. there are other goods ones, i just had this one handy ...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48903&highlight=

mlloyd1

Finally I got time to get a closer look into the problem with my DX-703, and others may benefit from this.

Before ordering a new motor, I thought that I would try some of the suggestions from this and other threads. I disassembled the drive and lubricated the motors with very thin oil.

Sadly this didn't help, and I could see (and hear) the tracking gear trying to focus the laser. Then I lubricated the rod (same thin oil) that the laser slides on, put a disc in and selected first and last song a few times to have the oil spread over the hole rod, and now it works just fine. No noise from the tracking gear and no jumps ;)

The motor may be worn down, and may need replacement sometime in the future, but for now it has played several hours without any problems :D

Attachments

• onkyo dx-703 rod 1.jpg
    onkyo dx-703 rod 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 596
Hi Vasiltech, currently i haf some problems.

1. Upon powering DX-703, the tray moves faster then usual and detects no CD. Only upon powering the cd player with a cd inside, it will be able to play normally.

2. Skipping occasionally at track 1-3 which i think cleaning shd help.

Can u kindly send me the service manual ?

Regards,
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.