Replacing the laser in a Philips CDM12.4/05

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I recently got my hands on two replacement laser heads for my Micromega Drive 3 which was skipping. I took out the mech and re-greased the whole lot as it was bone dry. This solved all the skipping problems.

When I do need to put the new laser in I need to get the old one off the tracking rod which it slides up and down on, I don't suppose if anyone knows how to release this metal bar?

Thanks
Phasenoise

The metal rod is held down by 2 little plastic wedges on each end. You'll need to use an appropriate tool (flat blade jeweller's screwdriver) to remove those wedges by pushing them outwards, to seperate the whole lens assembly from the main body. The metal rod would also have a rubber sleeve at each end. Don't loose them.
When replacing it, you'd have to push clear the gear rack a little and re-seat the lens assembly with the metal slider rod in place, and refit those wedges. Degrease the rod, bushes before re-lubing. There's actually a few points to apply some bits of grease.
Look closely at the moving parts to see which points need lubrication.
Use just sufficient grease meant for plastics or silicon grease for lubrication. Never over lube. The proceedure is the same for the cheaper CDM12.1 too, except the newer VAM1202 would have screws instead of plastic wedges.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.