crystal CS8415 receiver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2003, 01:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy crystal CS8415 receiver

Does anybody have any experience with that receiver ? I'm trying to get it work but with no results. Combined with CS84122. I use it in stand alone mode according to link below, check page 5:

http://www.apogeeddx.com/DS_EB_2000_2060.PDF

Any idea ?
Old 5th February 2003, 03:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey there,

Yes, there is a stand alone mode (see page 5 of the data sheet here.

I'm in the middle of making a tenderloin roast, so I can't help too much right now...

I'm not familiar with that circuit implementation as shown in the link you provide - I printed it out, and will try to go over it tonight/tomorrow!

Good luck -
Tieftoener -- You're ears can sense a movement in air that causes your eardrum to move less than 1/10th of the diameter of a Hydrogen atom! Don't abuse the one of the most amazing organs your Creator gave you!
Old 5th February 2003, 03:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't have any experience with the receiver, but have experience with the companion part, the CS8405A transmitter. One thing I had trouble with initially was the reset line. I didn't think that the documentstion was real clear on it. Anyway. I believe the CS8405 is only active when this line is high. Check the 8415 datasheet and see if this is not also the case with the 8415. If it is and you are not somehow getting 5 volts to this pin, it's not going to work.

Who knows, it might actually be something as simple as that.

Stu
Old 5th February 2003, 10:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I suppose resert pin should be high because only then I have output from my dac. Unfortunately that output is not what I want. It seems to be like white noise through frequency bandwidth - it's like sound of the ocean but steady. I use simple CS4334 DAC, only 8 pins so no mistakes here. Checked power supply pins OK. Filter values after Cirrus errata so PLL should lock. There is one way to check about PLL, use out error pins 11 and 15 to see what they show but then no clue.
Old 15th February 2003, 08:26 AM   #5
Andy I. is offline Andy I.  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: crystal CS8415 receiver

Quote:
Originally posted by thomashek
Does anybody have any experience with that receiver ? I'm trying to get it work but with no results. Combined with CS84122. I use it in stand alone mode according to link below, check page 5:

http://www.apogeeddx.com/DS_EB_2000_2060.PDF

Any idea ?
The EMPH'pin is tied to +VDD which, according to the datasheet, means that the receiver enters the I2S 24bit data mode. Can you try to tie it to the ground and let us know what happens (this is supposed to put the 8415A into the Left Justified mode)?

Thanks.

--Andy
Old 15th February 2003, 06:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have checked error output pins. They stay high all the time. No matter what I do. I tried nEMPH to low for left justified. Same noise.
Probably made some mistake in circuit or could be the DAC wrong ? I'm going to built receiver using another CS8415a chip and different DAC chip. I couldn't find any schematic on Crystal site for receiver in hardware mode. What I found out in CS8415a eval board datasheet was the same connections as in my circuit ! I just stick to that chip because I got them and CS43122 DAC chips via sample program. It was hard explaining in emails why, what and when but finally it did pay.
Any more ideas to make it work.
If someone of you give me the right connections "combination" and it's going to work I'm ready to send you one CS8415a receiver and one CS43122 DAC for free.
Old 16th February 2003, 11:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi, i have experence in making cs8415 works.
hope i can help.

for pin 28, use a smaller value's resister, say 10k, 20k

pin 3 also the same as Pin 28.

the FLT pin must connect as in datasheet page 14, resistor use 3K...

but the most important thing is the reset pin, you need to hold "high" when power up, and then "low" for 200-500ms and then "High" ! its very trouble,
the reset sequence not same as CS8414!
Old 16th February 2003, 11:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

may be you can use a switch , cap and a resistor to do a mantual reset. if it work, you can add a reset ic (adm707/max707).

I cant got the chips via sample program, i have fill in all requirement in their sample program. but the chips i want havnt come!
is the sample cant come to HK????
HAHA ^o^
Old 16th February 2003, 11:56 AM   #9
Andy I. is offline Andy I.  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by takashi
hi, i have experence in making cs8415 works.
hope i can help.

for pin 28, use a smaller value's resister, say 10k, 20k

pin 3 also the same as Pin 28.

the FLT pin must connect as in datasheet page 14, resistor use 3K...

but the most important thing is the reset pin, you need to hold "high" when power up, and then "low" for 200-500ms and then "High" ! its very trouble,
the reset sequence not same as CS8414!
Hi,

Do you mean that you need to hold the reset pin high for some time on power-up, before bringing down to do the reset? The datasheet's statement is quite different: "On initial power up, RST' must be held low until the power supply is stable...".

Thanks.
-- Andy

PS: I am making a dac based on cs8415a and cs43122, currently doing hand-routing of the PCB; so I am interested in all tips that would result in necessary changes in the schematics. I've used the CS datasheets for the design.
Old 17th February 2003, 03:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

that's really interesting. I got some answers from people who said reset pin should stay high all the time. How did you find out that "pause" time. Any idea why receiver output the noise. I think when it doesn't lock or there is an error , it should be dead quiet.

Hide this!Advertise here!