HIFIDIY CD Transport Kit - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2013, 07:30 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

In my (admittedly limited) experience nothing comes close to this transport coupled with a Hagerman Chime DAC. The presentation is extremely neutral (kind of an oxymoron, I suppose, but I can't think of anything better), and only loses out to SACD in my system because it's not surround sound - in two channel it's indistinguishable or even a little better. I have never heard a commercial high end ($1000+) player though.
Old 11th March 2013, 08:37 PM   #92
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with schubert on the neutral presentation. It has a large soundstage and it is very revealing. it can easily compete with commercial players that are costs triple the amount these player costs.

However there are some parts that can be updated for even better performance, fi the voltage regulators or the capacitors. However even with the standard supplied components it is already very good.
Old 17th March 2013, 01:04 AM   #93
Djilbe is offline Djilbe  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading the voltage regulators.
I have already upgraded the capacitors.
I'm about to put two more 5V and 9V transformers in an external chassis with the supplied one.
Now I'm looking for informations to upgrade the clock (if benefic) and the regulators.
So don't hesitate to give informations to us.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:41 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Default I am having same problem...need help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico88 View Post
I have a little problem with Big CDpro....

Everyting fine, check the cdpro supply 9and 5 volt.
Display seems working fine.
14.3 and 5 volt display are find.

But the motor is not spin/any movement at all.
The optic seems moving fine.

The display says loading ... Please wait ... And wait...

So ... It is not spinning at all.

Does anyone has this probelm before?

Cal
Hi Cal,
I am having similar problem as yours. Have you managed to solve it? I need help as I have been trying to t/shoot still unable to resolve. I have asked Candy, not much help.
May be you can help?
Thank you.
Old 31st March 2014, 08:52 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Default Big CDPro2 upgrade

I have been playing with this for 3 to 4 years now since I am the first batch of buyer. There are certainly some hardship as being the first batch of user but eventually its fun.

These are the upgrades I made in the course of my modification in order of; in my humble opinion, significance: -

Independent regulator for the crystal
The clock is always an important component in a CD drive because it delivers the correct timing. I started to supply the clock with an independent 7805 and found noticible improvement that this small amount of money can buy. It provides a clear backgrounde and more details than before. I also tried to put indivdual regulator to the logic ics but none of them have such improvement by providing an independent regulator to the crystal. Eventually, I purchased a DEXA regulator for the crystal and the improvement goes to an even higher level.

Plitron transformer
I can never imagine that a transformer can bring such improvement to a CD transport. In my mind, a CD transport delivers 0 and 1 from the disc therefore the transformer should never be in the picture of quality but I am totally wrong.

Spindle and disc clamp upgrade
I found on taobao a metal disc clamp with brass center and metal spindle to replace the magnetic disc weight and plastic spindle of the CDPro2 and it delivers audiable improvement, especially in the bass sections. However, I can't find it anymore.

75ohmes conneting cable from partsconnexion
This tiny yellow coaxiel cable makes a different although it is only a few cm. Try it and you would not regret.

5V DEXA regulator for CDPros2
This produce a darker background again. I wonder would there be any improvement if I change the 3.3V regulator at the bottom of the drive to DEXA or the latest version of Belleson SPM 3.3V regulator.

Changing the rectifier to BYV27-200
My friends said the sound becomes more musical but actually I can't tell.

Other not-so-significant improvement I've been made
DEXA 9V for the drive motor
Changing the output capacitor to V-Cap
Changing the coupling transformer to Audionote silver transformer
Changing the transistors to Caddock MK series, RPR etc.
Changing the power capacitors to Blackgate non-polar
Changing the wires to Oyaide internal connecting wire
Changing to oscon and tantalum caps

In my wish-list
I once contacted the owner of hifidiy.net and talked about my experience to improving the big CDPro2. He gave me the contact of the original designer of the PCB for further discussion. However, the discussion was not continued because I am the only one who opt for the change and the cost would be too high just to make one for myself. With the latest debut of ADM1750, I am thinking if anyone would be interested to opt for the development of a new board using this regulator because this is a much cheaper version than DEXA or Belleson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1x.JPG (137.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2x.JPG (143.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3x.JPG (113.9 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4x.JPG (119.0 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Sunsun22; 31st March 2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 17th August 2014, 07:51 PM   #96
Almeg69 is offline Almeg69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know of a replacement display suitable for my rather dim oled display on my mini cd2 pro

Thanks, Alex.
Old 5th October 2014, 12:06 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
Hello Djilbe,

I have also build this transport and i'm still very happy with it. You're gonna love it!

See the photo for the connections. You don't need the blue wires.

I do not have a very clear picture of the mains wiring. Connect the blue and red wires to each other and the remaining two wires are connected to the power inlet. For a larges picture click here.
Started to assemble CDPro2 Mini kit. Tell me please, dear Corpius, when you write that must be connected together red and blue wires, you mean red and yellow?

Hide this!Advertise here!