tent clock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am installing a Tent XO2 in my Marantz 8260. I am using supply from the player, and this measures 12v into clock. Output from the clock measures 2.76v. This seems low, but I am not sure.
Player not working properly either. Disc inserted into player does not spin to be read.

Stumped.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The problem: X02 output (clock) rising slowly, than CD driver hardver. Cause: the inner power supply rising time.

"No disk" effect.

In my CDP, Tent X02 working well with permanent extra power supply.

2*9V 5.5VA transformer, UA4007 diodes, CLC buffer (4700uF, 3H, 4700uF).

X02 output wiring to CD driver is RG174 mini coax. cable.

I echo euro21's response, I've had to power up or leave on 24/7 the Tent clock before the rest of the cd player, but this has been only 2 or 3 players out of 50 odd that I've done, as i always use his XO supply as well it's easy, just have it powered all the time, in your case using a common supply, you could try to delay the rest of the player while the XO2 comes up for a couple of seconds
, with some sort of delay circuit.

Cheers George.

Thanks to Euro21 and George for the replies, which indicate that a discrete, on all the time, power supply should correct the problem. I guess I have one of the applications that requires this, and I did not know this before the install. I know most clocks are best with discrete power supply, I was just trying to save a little money, and space in the 8260 is tight.

Steve

Mine Rotel 855 works fine with a discrete on-at-the-same-time as the player supply. This is a Tent XO on a modified PFM Flea board, fed by a Tread (http://www.tangentsoft.net/elec/tread/) fed with a cheapie transformer from Electronics Goldmine. The Tread is a great solution for small supplies such as this (where your XO2 already has a good regulation section). 12V however seems a bit low (not sure what the XO2 specs are). If you could find a higher DC voltage (or AC even) available, the use of something like the Tread (cheap) to provide 15Vdc or so to the XO2 might solve your problem. Mine feeds the PFM board with 20Vdc.

Well, after some time, I have clock problem solved. There was a minor problem with the clock, and this has been corrected, and clock and player work perfectly now.
I did not need a discrete power supply for the clock to work. The 12v from the analog section seems to work fine.

I didn't get the clock direct from Guido. If I had done so, there would have no problem with anything.
The problem with the clock was that the oscillator had been installed incorrectly. Once I determined this, it was easy to unsolder the four pins, rotate 90 degrees, and reinstall. Everything then worked fine.
My issue should just be a one time thing applicable only to me.

The transformer I am using is a cheapie (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G12951). The Flea module requires 20Vdc, so I am using one half of the 36VCT to feed the Tread, which is set to put out 20V.

If you need +/- 12V, I would look at something like this. I just built a home-etched version of this with one set of output FETs (I needed a smaller board) set up for +/- 15V to power a discrete I/V stage. I'll take the raw DC (~24V) and use that to power the Flea via the Tread reconfigured as a DC regulator.

You could of course use 2 Treads, but they wouldn't be tracking, and are just simple LM317 regulators, so not as low of noise as the o22 is. That may not matter if the Kwak clock board takes care of it? Otherwise, you could also look at a pair of ALWSR super regs (see pinkfishmedia for details, and you can buy boards).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.