Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2007, 07:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default build a USB DAC

I'd like to DIY myself a USB DAC. I'd like it to be able to record in 24-96 and play back in 24-96, of course higher sampling frequencies can't really hurt. The problem is, I'm not sure if most DAC's out there offer this kind of recording ability. I'd also like to not spend more than $80 or so and am willing to try and solder the mini parts.

My questions:

1: does anyone know a DAC PCB that's pretty inexpensive?

2: if a DAC says it has a 24-96 output, does that necessarily mean that it can record at that rate also?

sorry for these basic questions but I'm relatively new to the whole DAC scene. getting a laptop has prompted some consideration.
Old 15th August 2007, 10:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A DAC can record? Where does it keep the records?
Old 15th August 2007, 01:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: build a USB DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07
I'd like to DIY myself a USB DAC. I'd like it to be able to record in 24-96 and play back in 24-96, of course higher sampling frequencies can't really hurt. The problem is, I'm not sure if most DAC's out there offer this kind of recording ability. I'd also like to not spend more than $80 or so and am willing to try and solder the mini parts.

My questions:

2: if a DAC says it has a 24-96 output, does that necessarily mean that it can record at that rate also?

sorry for these basic questions but I'm relatively new to the whole DAC scene. getting a laptop has prompted some consideration.
You're looking for an ADC and a DAC in the same device. I don't know of any DIY projects like this (I've looked). Of course, there are several portable digital recorders out there now (Edirol, M-Audio, Korg), and these have DAC's as well.
Old 15th August 2007, 03:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm beginning to think that only commercially offered external sound cards will be viable - something like this..

http://www.emu.com/products/product....6&nav=features
Old 16th August 2007, 12:01 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

...or this, which is pretty close to your budget price:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html
Old 16th August 2007, 05:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default PCM2906 is a try

PCM2906 is an USB Codec with line in/out, SPDIF in and out chip. I ordered one sample from TI. Guess what, they sent it to me in 24 hours by DHL. What a fast!

I would like design and DIY an usb external sound card with it, still dont know if it can decode SPDIF input.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PCM2906 is a try

Quote:
Originally posted by sharkfta
PCM2906 is an USB Codec with line in/out, SPDIF in and out chip. I ordered one sample from TI. Guess what, they sent it to me in 24 hours by DHL. What a fast!

I would like design and DIY an usb external sound card with it, still dont know if it can decode SPDIF input.

DHL didn't deliver a datasheet? What kind of service is that? Leaving all the hard work to the diyer. Good at least there are forums to ask such questions.
Old 29th August 2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Archwn is offline Archwn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

datasheet in form of paper is considered to be heavy and more fragile in the form of a cd and a sleeve while you could download a free pdf form directly from the chip company's website.

reading a manufacturer's datasheet throughly is also considered to be a good practice. If the problem persists, this forum is a very good open book.
Old 2nd September 2007, 11:42 PM   #9
Maniac is offline Maniac  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Maniac
Default Re: build a USB DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07

My questions:

Personally I'd recommend against mandating the recording function as a required feature. As there are few USB interfaced DAC on the market, there's only so many choices. Two of them are from TI.

The PCM290x series and the PCM270x series.

290x series have both playback and recording while 270x series is playback only. However 270x series is not a watered down version of 290x with recording disabled. It is actually a completely different design, with a very high performance USB receiver circuit and PLL system (SpAct?) that can lock on to the data with extremely low jitter, and the sound quality is not something to be sneezed at either.

You might want to take a look at the eBay link in my sig, it might not be exactly what you want. Tho the PCB is available separately if you so need it.
Old 3rd September 2007, 05:21 AM   #10
Maniac is offline Maniac  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Maniac
Default Re: Re: build a USB DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac

290x series have both playback and recording while 270x series is playback only. However 270x series is not a watered down version of 290x with recording disabled. It is actually a completely different design, with a very high performance USB receiver circuit and PLL system (SpAct?) that can lock on to the data with extremely low jitter, and the sound quality is not something to be sneezed at either.

My mistake, 290x series also have SpAct built-in.

Sorry.

Hide this!Advertise here!