Which dac? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2007, 06:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which dac?

Ive been searching a while now for a dac-project to begin with but i havent found the perfect one for me. Is there a dac out there with good documentation so i can do my own pcb and also has optical input? A fairly basic dac is ok for me. No ultrahighend needed.
Old 7th August 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think that you need to give a little more detail on this one. For starters what kind of connection you looking for? I2s, Spidif, USB.

Budget would be good as well

Application probably would help.

I'm not that experianced with building DACs, but there are many here to answer questions
Old 7th August 2007, 05:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, i will put it between a digital musicplayer and my gainclone. So all i need is one koax and one toslink input. Thats it. I know there is some kits around but i havent found any pcb layouts.
Old 7th August 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've been evaluating DAC chips and boards for my employer, and we tested everything! The blow away surprise was the Analog Devices AD1955 Eval board. Out of the box it blew away everyone else. The runner up was the AKM4396 eval board.

Both of these boards are relatively cheap and require an external +- 12VDC power supplies.

BTW, I modified the AKM board adding xlr outputs by placing connectors just after the onboard resistor before the summing opamps for single ended output. THe Analog Devices board has both XLR and RCA out.

Both boards have TOS and S/PDIF inputs.

The Analog Devices board is a monster in terms of sound.

-David
Old 9th August 2007, 07:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think i have decided for the Extreme 1543 DAC from hifidiy.net us.hifidiy.net

Anyone has any experience from this?
Old 9th August 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Question AD1955 Eval board?

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
I've been evaluating DAC chips and boards for my employer, and we tested everything! The blow away surprise was the Analog Devices AD1955 Eval board. Out of the box it blew away everyone else. The runner up was the AKM4396 eval board.

Both of these boards are relatively cheap and require an external +- 12VDC power supplies.

BTW, I modified the AKM board adding xlr outputs by placing connectors just after the onboard resistor before the summing opamps for single ended output. THe Analog Devices board has both XLR and RCA out.

Both boards have TOS and S/PDIF inputs.

The Analog Devices board is a monster in terms of sound.

-David
Weird, I could not find any link to the AD1955 evaluation board on the AD's website.

Old 10th August 2007, 06:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: AD1955 Eval board?

Quote:
Originally posted by QSerraTico_Tico

Weird, I could not find any link to the AD1955 evaluation board on the AD's website.

You need to contact Analog Devices salesforce directly. The board is unbelievable. I was better than my Lavry DA-10 and other highend DAC's I've tested. It has the biggest soundstage and detailing I've ever heard.

One other cool aspect about their eval board is that all digital signals are available on header pins - DSS, PCM, I2S, etc. One of the more flexible boards I've evaluated, great for DIYers.

-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adi-1955-eval-board.jpg (10.2 KB, 2096 views)
Old 10th August 2007, 06:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's a pic of the DSD and PCM connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adi-1955-eval-board-closeup.jpg (10.1 KB, 1861 views)
Old 10th August 2007, 06:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus7601
I think i have decided for the Extreme 1543 DAC from hifidiy.net us.hifidiy.net

Anyone has any experience from this?

I know a lot of DIYers like this chip for it's simplicity, but it just sounds constrained, thin, and cannot hold a candle to the lastest crop of delta-sigma chips.

Before I get flamed, I know there is a lot of passion about on oversampling chips like this one. I just encourage you to try the AKM4396, or the AD1955 to the 1543. You will never look back after 2 minutes of listening.

-David
Old 11th August 2007, 01:08 AM   #10
tommak is offline tommak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083

-David

Did you evaluate the Texas Instruments' PCM1792 or PCM1794 evaluation board? If so, what was your impression?

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!