Sony PCM-701ES mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2007, 06:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony PCM-701ES mods

I've two second hand Sony PCM-701ES', which have already been quite heavily modded by someone else, and I'm trying to work out if I want to keep the mods or not - and if they tapes are compatible with each other.

I know it's got the Audio and Design CTC conversion (anyone got any info on this?), the other is externally original but has a mod board of some sort hidden in the bottom.

The CTC unit also has a 9-pin D connector hanging out the back with no marking, which inside goes to a little PCB with a single DIL chip and a load of diodes, installed on self-adhesive pillars. It says "Audio Maestro" on the PCB, the top of the chip has been tipexed so I don't know what it is.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 9 pin connector was probably used to connect to a PCM to SPDIF convertor made and sold by Whistlewood. This provided a very useful digital audio output.

Whistlewood are no longer around and I can't find the website or archive any more. I have reverse engineered their convertor so if you do want to go down that route I can give you more information.
Old 6th September 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Try this http://web.archive.org/web/200210081...k/pcm/701.html
Old 7th September 2007, 12:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks - I'll try and take some pictures of the inside over the weekend, and see where the other side of the bridge PCB goes to. I am interested in getting stuff onto a computer by some means - either SPDIF or by building an adaptor for the SDIF2 output.
Old 12th December 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
dlut is offline dlut  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default pcm

hi i am bit of a noob on forums and i in no this is an old discussion but i have a a sony pcm 701 es with CTC mods.

I talked to friend in BBC radio and they said the mods were put on to bring it up to broadcast standard. The mods are basically just and upgrade from consumer input output to balanced xlr etc.

He also seemed to remember they were used for putting digital audio onto tape(dubbing) and also used for live audio recording on to beta as it was cheaper and longer than other tape formats.
i don't no if that is right or not but may be of some use.
Old 22nd December 2007, 07:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to acdc2000
Unhappy SPDIF

I have a PCM 701 too, and want to add a SPDIF interface. But I can't get any useful message from the link (http://web.archive.org/web/200206101...k/pcm/701.html), and I can't get the circuit diagram, the IC's model.

What can I do?
Old 27th February 2008, 09:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The Whistlewood circuit used a 74HC4046 pll to regenerate the master clock and then a CS8402 to produce the SPDIF output. The archived web page shows how this was wired into the Sony PCM units.
Old 27th February 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to acdc2000
Thank you very much, it is very important to me, would you provide a circuit diagram ? Or more information for the small PCB?

Thank you again!
Old 17th March 2008, 03:47 PM   #9
babuls is offline babuls  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Default Sony PCM-701ES mods

Hello all!
I am an owner of a PCM-501 ES and would be very greatful if I could get any information on the spdif out mod.

All the Best!
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:31 PM   #10
ebrjvd is offline ebrjvd  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Whistlewood mod for Sony PCM F1/501/701

Me too, i'm looking for the Whistlewood S/PDIF circuit diagram for the Sony PCM-F1/501/701, or Sony PCM-601 circuit diagram.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!