Which Opamp Do U suggest ?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2007, 02:44 PM   #11
wleediy is offline wleediy  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Replaced 4558 in Tinwe with LT1057 metal can

The op amp in Tinwe is 4558, this is actually the best 4558 sound I hv heard! As this is SOIC type, it is a bit difficult to solder a DIP type into it. So I decided to try LT1057 metal can type, which is easier to solder. I hv not been using LT1057 for a long long time. years ago, I remembered it sounded much better then the NE5532 in the Danon 3250G CD player and the Mcintosh pre and power amp. Any way, while taking out the 4558, I had torn the PC board traces of 2 pins, as well as cutting most of the pins in 4558.
The result is actually worst sound overall. The LT1057 seemed to need warming up. It sounded cold and rough in the first 10 minutes. After that the sound improved. But I think I still like the low end 4558... Can't imagine that. Perhaps LT1057 is not really that great after all. I tried by-passing the mute stage which seemed to be consisted of some FET and perhaps BJT. the sound is much better. It sounded friendlier now, still not hi-fi grade to me, and the 4558 with the mute stage still probably sounded better in a few areas.
I think LT1057 is not right for this player... It is always hard to accept when the tweaking turn bad!

Best rgds

WLee
Old 13th August 2007, 03:39 PM   #12
arupg is offline arupg  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Do remember the saying in diy:

"no pains, no Gain!!" so do carryon my friend.
Old 13th August 2007, 03:45 PM   #13
wleediy is offline wleediy  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Well, in my mind now all I want is to add socket to the SOIC traces. i think will need to solder 8 wires some how after struggling with the idea of cutting the pins of the LT1057 metal can, to be used to solder DIP type Op amp.
Also i am tampting to solder on the pcm1742KE in the Pioneer another PCM 1742KE to see how it might sound, I got a few smple of 1742 from TI last years. Will this be a good idea? Any advise?

Best rgds

WLee

Hide this!Advertise here!