CDM4/31 in overspeed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found a lot of sources for the various IC's.

But I am suspecting the drive for the motor. (As I noticed some dodgy soldering by the previous owner in this area).
I've been looking around for a service manual of any compatible Philips CD player, but until now quite unsuccessfull. Anyone a good sourse for a CDM19/4 + PCB's service manual (Any philips CD, like CD210, 230, well you know them)

Thanks a lot!

Everything seems to start working again.
Finally I replaced a very tiny SMC transistor. (four times, it seemed the laser had gone bad somewhere, I replaced it and now it doesn't blow the transistor anymore).

The disc turns now in the correct direction (didn't notice before it was turning CCW!). And it seems to start at a normal speed. Everything moves.

Only not yet in the place where a CD is played. I suppose some electrical / mechanical adjustments to the cd player, so it recognises the CD's again. (I changed the setting of the 22KOhm variable transistor according the initial preset value of the manual).

OK,
changed the setting according manual. And guess what, I managed to play a disc or 2.
Then it started to have trouble starting the CD (as in not turning the turntable motor).
And in the end the turntablemotor didn't start at all.

Changed the motor by a working equivalent part. Now the SAA7220P/B chip becomes quite hot!
Has the chip broken down or something worse? Is this chip broken or is it something else. Can I replace it with a SAA7220P/B chip from a philips player or do all the other digits on the IC have to match?

Is it beyond repair? Anyone a good idea?

guidovangool said:
OK,
changed the setting according manual. And guess what, I managed to play a disc or 2.
Then it started to have trouble starting the CD (as in not turning the turntable motor).
And in the end the turntablemotor didn't start at all.

Changed the motor by a working equivalent part. Now the SAA7220P/B chip becomes quite hot!
Has the chip broken down or something worse? Is this chip broken or is it something else. Can I replace it with a SAA7220P/B chip from a philips player or do all the other digits on the IC have to match?

Is it beyond repair? Anyone a good idea?

Yes it is beyond repair, just donate it to me :D

Seriously, does it work now you've changed the motor? Or still no go? You can replace the 7220B with any other 7220B, no wories. The other digits are factory codes and production dates.

I did manage to kill one of them too, when repairing a cd80. They run hot normally, just compare with the 1541. That should run hot too (bit more even). The one that broke in my case did no longer sent a bitclock to the dac... Clock to 7210 was ok.

Guido

OK,
I have reduced the problem slightly I think.

The problems upto now:
1. power supply had a broken transistor which caused the disc to rotate at lighning speed in the wrong direction. (-9V)

2. The disc didn't move anymore. This was a resistor which had gone bad. (broken down). I obviously made some shortcircuit during measurements :cannotbe: .

The remainder problem:
I press CD and than:
1. the lid closes
2. the disc makes a very small movement CCW
3. the disc speeds up in two bits approx. 1sec, than 1sec no power on the disc and than again 1 sec speed up.
4. during disc speedup the laserarm swings against its inner stop
5. the laser goes on
6. the lens moves up and down twice.
7. the laser goes of
8. the disc isn't powered anymore.
9. There is no indication of "No Disc" or "Bad disc". just the player stays on, but doesn't play.

The laser assy has been replaced by a working one.

suggestions?

OK, back from hollidays and got stuck numerous evenings measuring and replacing components... nothing that really solves the problem. Too bad, while its a nice piece of equipment though.
I am quite sure it's my lack of experience!

I was wondering if there is somebody out there who enjoys giving me a hand...
Of coarse I can get it to a service center, but 1. they will tell the beocenter is to old and beyond repair, 2. I will certainly learn not that much from a repair center, if anything at all...

I am willing tgo travel throughout the Netherlands and Belgium.

So if anyone out there feels like giving me a hand! Don't hesitate!

Just thought I'd add to this old thread. I have a Beocenter 9500 with the exact same problems. I have already replaced the little surface mount transistor for the -9 volt switch and tested the unit with a CDM2/10 drive I had in a bin. Works perfectly.

Anyhow, I also have the 2 bad transistors and 10 ohm resistors on the CDM. But mine is a CDM 4/57.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for posting the sub on those 2 darn transistors!! I couldn't find these to save my life.

I should have the darn thing fixed shortly.

Marc

guidovangool said:
OK,
I have reduced the problem slightly I think.

The problems upto now:
1. power supply had a broken transistor which caused the disc to rotate at lighning speed in the wrong direction. (-9V)

2. The disc didn't move anymore. This was a resistor which had gone bad. (broken down). I obviously made some shortcircuit during measurements :cannotbe: .

The remainder problem:
I press CD and than:
1. the lid closes
2. the disc makes a very small movement CCW
3. the disc speeds up in two bits approx. 1sec, than 1sec no power on the disc and than again 1 sec speed up.
4. during disc speedup the laserarm swings against its inner stop
5. the laser goes on
6. the lens moves up and down twice.
7. the laser goes of
8. the disc isn't powered anymore.
9. There is no indication of "No Disc" or "Bad disc". just the player stays on, but doesn't play.

The laser assy has been replaced by a working one.

suggestions?

If you happen to read this, you must re-adjust the laser power and focus offset pots if you replave the laser assy but NOT the board.
It's very touchy, but I've done it a few times. There's a sweet spot where the drive will suddenly read.

Marc

CDM2 from Philips 650 in B&O 9000

Hello,
newbie here.
Found this forum via Google. Amazing!
Having trouble w my cd in a Beocenter 9000.
Some argue that the laser may not be dead,
I have however bought a cdm 2/10 from a Philips 650.
It has been installed but spins way too fast!
Can somebody help?
Regards
Johan

Did you already open the BC? Do you have the service manual? (Beofriends.nl might have one or additional tech support)

I guess the CD spins counter-clockwise? In the wrong direction?
This means that at one of the pins -9V is missing. Which could be a faulty SMD-transistor in the power supply. (very small transistor at the bottom side of the main print in the bottom.
(In service manual I thought it was on page 2-14 upper right corner TR6314 if I am correct). Can be replaced with similar transistor, not nescessarilly SMD, be carefull for short circuits though).

If you have a look here

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/72941.aspx

there is some discussion of the Philips lasers. Does the disc drive spin with no disk inserted, you should be able to see the laser move to the inside of the disk and then try to focus. it is often possible to use only the laser swing arm assembley from the donor CD player. I have the service manual and can scan the CD section if required, I also have a soft copy but it may be to large to email

Stuart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.