cd-rom into standalone transport, how-to???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following this subject:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=121270#post121270

I'd like to convert an old cd-rom into a serious cool looking transport like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I only don't have this cd-rom player (creative infra 52x) but a normal IDE (generic samsung40x) and one with SCSI (ricoh 6200 (saturn main board)).

Both are disassebled but not starting. A reason for that is that the creative has a remotecontrol and can be used as a standalone.
My cd-rom players don't have this.

My question:

Does anybody know which leads on a EDI or SCSI connector I have to shortcut/give a pulse in order to start the damned thing???

Ralph

rwagter said:

Does anybody know which leads on a EDI or SCSI connector I have to shortcut/give a pulse in order to start the damned thing???

Ralph

It's not quite that easy, unfortunately. You need to send commands over the IDE or SCSI bus, which will require a microcontroller. Some generic drives have very basic transport controls on the front panel for playing audio CDs (usually just start/stop, sometimes track skip).

Looked at the website, schematics are in English, so are the files which contain the programming (*.asm).
There's also an e-mail address in one of the files.
Is there anybody out there who can explain in plain English how all of this works, I for one am very interested (I would prefer the thing without a display, however).

Greetings,

Jarno.

Hello,
Well, I am working on using a cd-rom as a transport for my next Cd player. I am using a Plextor UltraPlex 40Max.
At the moment I am using dac form plextor, it feeds custom analog ouput stage consisting of OPA627 and BUF634.

Well, as for controlling the whole thing it's hard, because
U need to have some kind of microcontroller if U want to have
more fuctions than just play/stop/eject.

The sound is astonishingly good. I'll post some thoughts in the
morning 'coz I've just come back from party ;)

Cheers,

Adam

Ralph,

I really want to help you. But you do not answer my question in Pass Labs forum. Did you put a disc clamp when you play? There is a disc clamp inside CD-ROM. If no disc clamp, CD-ROM would not start.

One more thing, there is also a limit switch inside CD-ROM. It activates when CD-ROM cassette open/close. You have to short or open it. You have to make sure the limit switch status same with when cassetee is closed.

You need not connect IDE or SCSI interface. CD-ROM can work like a generic transport. For convenience, choose two buttons type CD-ROM. i.e. play/forward and stop/open/close. Otherwise you would not move ahead to other tracks. Good luck.

Hello,
I am playing with a SCSI Plextor CD-ROM...there are some of my thoughts:
- choose a CD-ROM with at least two control buttons (play/next and stop/eject)...don't play with el-cheapo units, it doesn't make
sense, it really makes no difference, whether it has digi-out,
or not. At long last, U will have to open it and 'work' on the internal circuitry, it ALWAYS needs some tweaks
- if U want to access more advanced functions of a CD-ROM U have to use a PC or build some circuitry around a microcontroller
chip, well this can be tricky, especially bearing in mind that U may
have to WRITE some software code, usually in C or ASM.
I have no experience with IDE CD-ROM since the unit I am
working on is a SCSI unit, I despise IDE bus actually :cool:
As for SCSI, there are some links:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO
---
http://www.t10.org/
---
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO
---
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Programming-HOWTO.html

Hope this helps. I know that I have to restate some of my assumptions, so I am in no position to say anything about programming the whole damn thing. What I know is that I'll
probably use 'Common Access Metod', instead of Adaptec's
ASPI for controlling the Plextor. Now I am looking for a serious
microcontroller with relevant development kit...and BIG red
illuminated display like in Mark Levinson's NO.390...anyone
has the idea of where to get these?

Any suggestions, comments, encouragement welcome :)

With best regards,

Adam

About the site I posted, member called nFORCE (who first posted this link) offered his help in traslating it to english, but he never did it. Why... I don't know.

There's link to the forum on Yahoo about this project and it's half in Taiwanese, half in what might be called English but, IMHO, only understandable to those who wrote it. There might be some errors in the code or just people don't doing it the right way as I see, so help about translating it would be appreciated :confused:

I'd like to convert an old cd-rom into a serious cool looking transport like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I only don't have this cd-rom player (creative infra 52x) but a normal IDE (generic samsung40x) and one with SCSI (ricoh 6200 (saturn main board)).

---------------------------------------------------------

The Creative can be bought from farnell .com Offer Issue 26 for £25. but doen't have an accurate clock.

The Taiwan Website is asking for help in debugging his software!

PRBS,

sorry for not answering your questions in the other thread but here they are

1. I tried the clamp but it didn't matter
2. I tried all cominations of the momentary switch but that doesn't seem to matter either.

All chips/ic's are plastic covered so I can't ground them manually as you did.

My next step:

Dissasemble an old cd-player and rebuild it. I know for sure that it has got a start and stop button etc.

Ralph

p.s. lucky me for holding on to old junk

my project support all standart functions button
Play, Pause, Stop, Forward (+5 sec), Backward (-5 sec), Next, Previous, Load/Eject
and also support
Preview (firt 10 sec), Single, Repeat, Random & CD-TEXT (with scrolling )
& infrared remote control :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.