Looking for new player SACD/DVDA is a must!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so I've been looking a little and these are the ones I'm looking at most right now.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3299.asp#

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11040456

I know that sony's are very popular for moding and which if possible with this unit I would most definitely mod it but thought I would get some input first? My budget is about 500 or less. Used or New.

I couldn't seem to find anything on the sony player here on the boards. Oh and video performance doesn't matter at all pretty much. This will solely be used for audio.

Looking for new player....

Have a look at the Oppo DV981HD on the Oppo website.

This player is in your price range. Mine cost me AU$405 delivered.
This player also upsamples to 1080 via HDMI.
It also has a very interesting, undocumented feature. If you set the player to output LPCM, you are then able to feed the SPDIF into a high quality DAC (in my case a highly modded Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 ) and connect DIRECTLY to a Power Amplifier.
The remote control can then be used to digitally control volume.
Normal audio out is average quality, BUT , if you (after warranty) replace the switchmode power supply bridge rectifier diodes with BYV26C, and connect a 100nF 630V capacitor (or another suitably rated type) across the main PSU electrolytic adjacent to these clearly marked diodes, you will get even better audio via SPDIF, and glossier video via S-VHS , or HDMI (!) Self adhesive felt when strategically placed under the chassis etc. , will take the performance to an even higher level.
SandyK

Looking for new player...

Perhaps not when using onboard audio. However , this player makes an excellent transport for feeding a high quality DAC.
It probably comes down to how many SACD and DVD-A you would play,compared to the number of CDs and DVDs you would play. Being able to completely bypass a preamplifier, and control volume digitally, may be a very worthwhile step up in audio quality, particularly if the Power Amplifier gain is reduced to take advantage of the higher level output available from CD/DVD.
(NOT by attenuating !)

SandyK

Looking for new player

IMHO, if you want to take full advantage of the much wider bandwidth and S/N of SACD/DVD-A, as well as higher quality CD recordings, using valve amplification will result in a loss of ultimate quality. Very few valve preamps can even reach 100dB S/N and are usually very sensitive to the quality of the interconnects used between them and the Power Amplifier. Very few Valve Amplifiers have sufficient bandwith to do full justice to 192KHZ sampled material.Also much of the very low level ambience information will be buried in the higher noise floor of such equipment, as well as the much higher level of distortion residuals, even if it is the more benign sounding even order harmonics.
Anyway, that's my personal feelings, but undoubtedly many valve equipment lovers, perhaps yourself included, will vehemently disagree with what I have said.

Perhaps some other members can come up with other suitable players that they have heard, and meet your requirements ?
Regards
SandyK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.