Progression nonos dac&high output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellow DIY-ers!

I am still puzzled about the contents of the Progression dac of 47 labs. I wonder how they are able to get 2.1 Vrms out the dac with a high quality without using opamps etc. I have heard the Shigaraki dac (similar to the Progression dac) with the real gaincard (25W) and I really loved the sound!!!

Currently, I have my TDA1543 in 5V, 3x1k configuration. But this doesn't have killer dynamics&bass :-(
I wonder if 47 labs uses multiple TDA1543's. It could be that they use output transformers to virtually increase the input impedance of the amplifier used after the dac. :scratch:

Have you seen this schematic ?
joelist.free.fr/schematic...OS_DAC.pdf
They also use output transformers, though not a step-up transformer. Would it be beneficial to try a 600 to 1k transformer or so. Ideally, I would like to have a step up transformer with ratio 1:2.5. This means that I would have 2.0 Vrms output instead of 0.8 Vrms, I could invert the signal and I would have less trouble with HF !!!

Any thoughts/ideas/confirmations are highly appreciated !

Fedde

Re: Progression nonos dac&high output

fedde said:
Hi fellow DIY-ers!

I am still puzzled about the contents of the Progression dac of 47 labs. I wonder how they are able to get 2.1 Vrms out the dac with a high quality without using opamps etc. I have heard the Shigaraki dac (similar to the Progression dac) with the real gaincard (25W) and I really loved the sound!!!

Currently, I have my TDA1543 in 5V, 3x1k configuration. But this doesn't have killer dynamics&bass :-(
I wonder if 47 labs uses multiple TDA1543's. It could be that they use output transformers to virtually increase the input impedance of the amplifier used after the dac. :scratch:

Have you seen this schematic ?
joelist.free.fr/schematic...OS_DAC.pdf
They also use output transformers, though not a step-up transformer. Would it be beneficial to try a 600 to 1k transformer or so. Ideally, I would like to have a step up transformer with ratio 1:2.5. This means that I would have 2.0 Vrms output instead of 0.8 Vrms, I could invert the signal and I would have less trouble with HF !!!

Any thoughts/ideas/confirmations are highly appreciated !

Fedde
Hi fedde,
Could not find the schematic. Do you have a full URL?
Maybe they use a opamp to crank the signal up!
:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

TDA1543

Hi Cjunk,
Thanks for the link!
Fedde, I suspect the 47 labs has a very good powersupply. I have read something like that on there site that this is essential.
Supply does have a large impact on the sound. Did you try the one I made? I have no complains about the dynamics and bass...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...=7265&perpage=15&highlight=7805&pagenumber=11
Make C10 2x 4700µF and use a low resistance inductor <1 Ohm:idea:
It is also important to connect this supply to the rectifier bridge of the analog supply. At first I had it connected to the PI-filter of the analog supply, and that sounded worse.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.