Progression nonos dac&high output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2003, 02:37 PM   #1
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
Default Progression nonos dac&high output

Hi fellow DIY-ers!

I am still puzzled about the contents of the Progression dac of 47 labs. I wonder how they are able to get 2.1 Vrms out the dac with a high quality without using opamps etc. I have heard the Shigaraki dac (similar to the Progression dac) with the real gaincard (25W) and I really loved the sound!!!

Currently, I have my TDA1543 in 5V, 3x1k configuration. But this doesn't have killer dynamics&bass :-(
I wonder if 47 labs uses multiple TDA1543's. It could be that they use output transformers to virtually increase the input impedance of the amplifier used after the dac.

Have you seen this schematic ?
joelist.free.fr/schematic...OS_DAC.pdf
They also use output transformers, though not a step-up transformer. Would it be beneficial to try a 600 to 1k transformer or so. Ideally, I would like to have a step up transformer with ratio 1:2.5. This means that I would have 2.0 Vrms output instead of 0.8 Vrms, I could invert the signal and I would have less trouble with HF !!!

Any thoughts/ideas/confirmations are highly appreciated !

Fedde
Old 1st February 2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Question Re: Progression nonos dac&high output

Quote:
Originally posted by fedde
Hi fellow DIY-ers!

I am still puzzled about the contents of the Progression dac of 47 labs. I wonder how they are able to get 2.1 Vrms out the dac with a high quality without using opamps etc. I have heard the Shigaraki dac (similar to the Progression dac) with the real gaincard (25W) and I really loved the sound!!!

Currently, I have my TDA1543 in 5V, 3x1k configuration. But this doesn't have killer dynamics&bass :-(
I wonder if 47 labs uses multiple TDA1543's. It could be that they use output transformers to virtually increase the input impedance of the amplifier used after the dac.

Have you seen this schematic ?
joelist.free.fr/schematic...OS_DAC.pdf
They also use output transformers, though not a step-up transformer. Would it be beneficial to try a 600 to 1k transformer or so. Ideally, I would like to have a step up transformer with ratio 1:2.5. This means that I would have 2.0 Vrms output instead of 0.8 Vrms, I could invert the signal and I would have less trouble with HF !!!

Any thoughts/ideas/confirmations are highly appreciated !

Fedde
Hi fedde,
Could not find the schematic. Do you have a full URL?
Maybe they use a opamp to crank the signal up!
Old 1st February 2003, 11:53 AM   #3
cjunk is offline cjunk  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Progression nonos dac&high output

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

Do you have a full URL?

http://joelist.free.fr/schematics/NON_OS_DAC.pdf
Old 1st February 2003, 12:15 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb TDA1543

Hi Cjunk,
Thanks for the link!
Fedde, I suspect the 47 labs has a very good powersupply. I have read something like that on there site that this is essential.
Supply does have a large impact on the sound. Did you try the one I made? I have no complains about the dynamics and bass...
Why 7805 is better than LM1085?
Make C10 2x 4700F and use a low resistance inductor <1 Ohm
It is also important to connect this supply to the rectifier bridge of the analog supply. At first I had it connected to the PI-filter of the analog supply, and that sounded worse.

Hide this!Advertise here!