DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I'm thinking of building a new DAC. Do you have any good DAC you suggest me to build?
Sheldon Stokes Tube DAC with CS8412, NPC5843A, PCM63P and SRPP tube output stage looks interesting.

Or is it better to upgrade my CD player instead (Audio Pro CD.7 (3 years old). I've located the DAC chip it's a Panasonic MN6474A 18bit Dac with 4x oversampling, the output stage is built up by a couple of opamps (NE5532). The upgrades I'm thinking of is removing the opamps and use a Lundahl transformer as output stage instead, and perhaps a new clock from LC-Audio.

I've have also seen that it's possible to buy evaluation boards, with complete DACs from Crystal , Burr Brown and others. Perhaps this is best the best solution.

What do you think?

/Freddie

First you will need the data sheet for your DF/Dac
<a href="http://www.piel.co.uk/componentsanddevices/semiconductors/CD/para/e-P7002.html">Its Here,</a> plus a few others Matsushita chips.

it doesn't seem to be a very high end digital filter with only 18 bit internal resolution, the NPC filters are 32 bit.

<center><font size="+1" color="#000000" face="fantasy">Regards
James</font></center>

Hi all!

I have some questions regarding DAC circuit.
I've heard that some DACs and AV receivers use
multiple DAC chips per channel, like 2, 4, or even 8
chips per channel. They say that using multiple chips
improves dynamic range and distortion. But I don't know
what rationale supports such a claim. Could someone out
there enlighten me on this?

Actually, I've even seen a picture where one DAC chip is
piggybacked on another chip. And datasheets from Analog
Devices (AD1852, AD1853) actually show mono circuits
in which ROUT+ and LOUT- (LOUT+ and ROUT-) of a chip are
wired together and supplied to an analog stage.
If such a scheme is really effective, I'd like to give
a shot some day...

Connecting DAC chips in parallel improves the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range. I have not tried it myself so I couldn't comment on the sound. The other option which I am going to implement on my next DAC is a fully balanced configuration. Two DACs per channel one producing the inverted signal the other the non-inverted. A differential amplifier then amplifies these.

clock

hi folks

if someone can answer me a question/

it will be appreciated!

on my cd player have a 1 bit dac with a 33.868 meg clock,
the dac divides that clck to be feed to the servo dsp.

the servo dsp generates the l/r data,44.1khz for left & right channel separation & a 3rd signal that i dont know if it is a word clock or bit clock???

this 3 signal goes to the dac again.

i made a reshape on the 3rd signal & the inprovment was so huge that i am willing to trade info with someone that
can make or design a clock reshaper unit!!

thanks
richt
h

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.