Adcom GCD-750 Traverse Deck Replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I have an Adcom GCD-750 CD player, for around 5 years. After moving, the unit started back skipping and front skipping a bit. I took it to an authorized service center that said the "servo assembly" needed to be replaced, for $285.00 just for the part, then they told me that they would not get the part fast enough, because the shop owner was retiring, and closing for good at the end of the month. I paid my 25 dollar deposit and got the unit back.

I called up Adcom about this, and they gave me the part number for it. A "traverse deck" made by Panasonic for $285.00. I quickly searched the internet, and found this piece brand-new from a wholesale parts warehouse for $50.00.

My question is:

Is it a really hard job to do this myself? I have some technical knowledge, but never worked with lasers before, and do not know if this needs to be aligned, or adjusted after installation. I paid nearly $1300.00 for this unit, and love it to death. Would there be any other "smarter" way to go about getting this fixed without paying out the ying-yang?

Any help would be appreciate, Hence my username for my first post:smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi GCD750,
Welcome to DiyAudio!

I would buy the manual right from Adcom if I were you. If I could find it somewhere, I would have loved to have grabbed it. That's one question answered.

Normally you can't simply replace the mechanism. There may be some adjustments involved. If you have a link, can you post it? I can give you much more intelligent information then.

As far as mechanisms go, historically Matsushita is very good. Better than the Philips stuff normally is. So this is probably a good thing.

I used to run a service center where we were authorized warranty for Adcom. This one came out after I sold my shop, but I'll bet it sounds very good. Certainly worth fixing properly.

-Chris

Here's the unit posted on a parts website...

Attachments

• rae0113z.jpg
    rae0113z.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 339
Replacement laser units are pre-aligned and they don't need to be adjusted. IMHO $50 is a very good price for the mechanism incl. the laser. I have done such replacement, it is an easy job. There is a solder bridge on the flex cable to protect the laser, it has to be removed after the flex cable is connected.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi GCD750,
That looks like it's straight forward to replace. You may need to do some adjustments (without the manual it's hard to tell). Work carefully and take pictures as you go. Do not over tighten the screws as you put it back together.

Occasionally, assemblies like this may have a different flexible cable.

Hi oshifis,
Replacement laser units are pre-aligned and they don't need to be adjusted.
I'm sorry, but that is often untrue.

The better CD players have some adjustments that need to be done. Some are servo controlled where we used to make adjustments. Keep in mind that a good technician can adjust closer than a servo can.

Also, keep in mind that you can sometimes get by without adjusting for a new mech. The problem is that the digital errors will be greater (lower sound quality) than if things were properly set up.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi GCD750,
Sometimes the laser heads are adjusted to a standard at the factory. The value of a good technician would be to either fine tune (if possible) or confirm that the head is in fact working properly. Like an incoming quality inspection if you will. We do this using test equipment and test CD's.

Keep in mind that I have had to reject a few CD heads and transports over the years. They aren't all good out of the box, or they may have just passable performance. As a service person, it's up to me to guarantee that you get the job you deserve and paid for.

If they emailed you the schematic, may I have a look at it please?

-Chris

Hi, and thanks for your input. The schematics they sent me were for the electronics, and nothing for the transport itself, it seems. There's like 6 different breakdowns fot the CPU and amp sections. I'm wondering why they had bothered. I would have expected at least an exploded parts view or something...

Just got the part in the mail.

To my suprise, it's just the optical pickup itself, with a small ribbon cable, with no motor or deck mechanism. It says DVD video on the box, which is about 3x2 inches. Something is wrong here.

It has part number RAE0113Z which is supposed to be a traverse deck. Any thoughts?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi GCD750,
I normally replace the disc motor along with the pickup. Bearing wear causes serious tracking problems and I often find that the disc motor wears before the laser head.

So, when you bought it, did you buy it as a complete assembly or just the head?.

If your diagram is in an electronic format, I wouldn't mind seeing it. Email me buy pushing my mail button please.

-Chris

Hi, I'll send you the zip file of the schematics. What electronix.com sent me was just the laser head with a ribbon cable, supposedly part number RAE0113Z, I thought it would be the whole Transverse Deck, but I guess I'm wrong here. This is the part number Adcom gave me for this. Ugh! The transport itself is the one used in the Technics SLPG 340 and California Audio Labs players(it has a CR2 number of the back of the tray).

Thanks,
Marc

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Marc,
In my opinion, you should make sure the disc motor is changed as well. The complete assembly assures you that the disc table height is correct. I always check with a scale.

Can you ask if they have the assembly complete? I may cost you extra, or maybe they made a mistake sending just the head assembly. As far as I know, the transverse assembly should include the head, feed and disc motors as well as the slide mechanism all on a little chassis. If this is what you did get, it's correct. If you only got the head, it's not a transverse assembly.

I got mail, thank you!

-Chris

These guys at the parts store don't even know what I'm talking about. The service guy from Adcom gave me the part number...I said, ok, what is it called? He says it's a "Transverse Deck" with the laser assy. I order the part, they send me a little tiny box with the RAE0113Z part number with just the laser head. confused. If I could find another player to take the transport from, I'd do that as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Marc,
Not the first time I've run into this.

When you talk to the parts guys again, speak slowly and use small single syllable words if possible. If you need to use a two syllable word, allow them time to look it up. :rolleyes:

Then have them repeat back to you what they think you ordered.

-Chris

This is kind of confusing to me...I go on the Panasonic Parts website, put in the number RAE0113Z, and it comes up as "Traverse Deck" for 57.00 and change. i was thinking of ordering this direct from them, but somehow I think I'll wind up getting just another laser pickup by itself, again.:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Marc,
After examining the diagram I can see where this is a servo model. No adjustments unless there are some on the transverse assembly. So far, so good.

I would definitely put the whole assembly in. Also, this should be an excellent sounding CD player from the looks of it. It uses the BB PCM1702 DA chips. Excellent. My favorite so far, so it's a keeper.

-Chris

Edit: Just saw your post. Call them and confirm again, talk to service if you must to clear this up. Good luck!

Thanks for the speedy reply. Now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Yes, this CD player is one of the best sounding units I've ever heard in my life. This is why I'm trying to save it.

Another question. How the heck can I go about getting a complete "Traverse Deck" for this thing? Should I take my chances on the Panasonic site, and send this thing back for a 15% restocking fee to Electronix.com?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.