Best resistors For I/V Conversion? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2007, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best resistors For I/V Conversion?

Hello to all!

Does anyone have comments as to preferred resistor
types for digital I/V conversion, and the sound character
of any mentioned types/brands?

Thanks!

fastcat
Old 21st June 2007, 10:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Econistor available from:
http://www.rhopointcomponents.com/pr...?recnumber=182
Farnell also has a few values.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm a big fan of wire wound resistors for precision applications, but there's no such thing as a zero inductance wire wound resistor, and some winding techniques also produce significant stray capacitance. I'd be a bit leery of using them for high bandwidth I/V conversion. The bulk metal foil resistors best wirewounds in just about every way except maybe peak power handling, and I'm not even sure about that. A decent metal film like an RN55 or 60 type is also no slouch. The value of the resistor would affect my choice of type. For low values the wire wound can be excellent. For mid values the bulk metal foil or MF wins, and for high values the MF is the logical choice. Don't go near thick film, carbon film, carbon, or MOX resistors due to instability, noise and non-linearity with voltage, in spite of sometimes excellent HF performance.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Huh, I chose them for sound quality. I tried almost everything from metal film various brands (including Dales), Audio Note Tantalum and Shinkoh ditto, Vishay bulk foil, Allen Bradley carbon composition, Kiwame, Riken.....
Old 21st June 2007, 05:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
The value of the resistor would affect my choice of type. For low values the wire wound can be excellent. For mid values the bulk metal foil or MF wins, and for high values the MF is the logical choice.

What would you consider 25-50R? Is that low or medium?
Old 21st June 2007, 07:39 PM   #6
radio28 is offline radio28  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Vishay bulk foil is nice
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:38 PM   #7
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

put a Mills non-inductive wirewound on your list to audition.
Old 24th June 2007, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Anything under a couple hundred ohms is low to me, as I can wind it with a reasonable size (i.e. easy to handle) wire that comes out to a reasonable length. That means long enough to adjust to high accuracy, and short enough so the resistor is of reasonable size. I wouldn't dream of winding anything over a couple k at most, and that only for instrumentation and reference use, not audio. I wind quite a few of my own resistors and shunts, and use either manganin or an 800 ohm-cm wire of very low TC. The manganin is traditional and its properties are extremely well known. It can be easily soldered. The 800 ohm-cm wire cannot be soldered, but has to be spot welded. It has a lower TC than manganin. It's what you'd find inside many commercial wire wound resistors. I have some Mills resistors and think highly of them, as well as of Julie Research resistors, if you can find them. Still, bulk metal foil is really the high end resistor these days.
Old 24th June 2007, 10:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Mills

Quote:
Originally posted by pooge
put a Mills non-inductive wirewound on your list to audition.

These are nice as emitter resistors and in loudspeaker crossovers.
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found Siemens non inductive wirewound resistors to try in my DAC as passive I/V, value is 43,759 ohm. Looks like a relay coil and shines like silver when gold colored insulation is removed. 1,9m total wire length of 0,25mm wire have 43 ohm. There are additional windings with thinner copper wire for exact value tuning.

Hide this!Advertise here!