Xbox as cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has to be modified to be able to run homebrew software (That is software is isn't official endorsed). There are 2 ways of doing this, a physical chip which resides in your xbox can be added to bypass the software authentication checks or on some models you can just flash the firmware of the xbox to do much the same thing.

This site has alot of the information you'll need to proceed down either path

http://www.xboxscene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

If you're not good with the software side of computers I would recommend you to modchip, I'm sure you'll be able to install it yourself, it only requires moderate soldering skills.

One can replace the internal Harddrive (usually a 8-10GB one) to one of any size (well at least up to 320gb, I'm pretty sure it can support any), as long as it is an IDE one. So you can store all your music on it, as well as access media across a network like you would a squeezebox.

thanks zBuff..

I'll take a look at it. I am wanting to create some sort of media device, certainly storing cds or mp3s etc.

not a geek, just trying to do something with a $20 Xbox... all I had to do was solder an end onto a cable, and buy a controller...I think I have under $35 CAD into it.

I have used the Sony PS schp1001 as a cd player to good effect. I am just really curious about the Xbox. If I can use a software DAC program it could be quite interesting. I know the boxes are well built and can be modified. I bvelieve MicroSoft had purchased Pacific MicroSonics, so HDCD playback shoyuld be possible.

Hello,
to use the xbox as Mediacenter you have to insert a modchip and a bigger Harddisk.

The Xbox as CD Player is no good idea because the boxes dvd roms are no good cd-readers.
There are three possible dvdr's, samsung, philips and thomson.
Some of them don't read CDR at all, some do it worse and some good.

Another thing is the short lifetime of the dvd drives and the high price for spare-drives.

If you want to have an good cd player, take your scph1002 and if you want to have a Mediacenter take a xbox.

I own 5 Boxes and since three years I modify xboxes and I can tell you the xbox isn't the trueth of Hifi High End.

Cobra71

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.