Suggestions for PCB stencils?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one from SU. Excellent quality. Also bought paste & other stuff. Used a fancy toaster oven and it all worked fine. Except where the 0603 were close together, I ended up getting solder bridges as the resistors and capacitors floated on the metal and moved slightly. Normally everything floats and centers itself. With the tight spacing I got diagonal shifts.

In the end, I chucked it. Turns out I can solder everything by hand just as fast. And it never requires touch up or rework. I see no reason to go to stencils for small jobs. They're only practical and cost-saving if the boards are machine placed.

If it is the SSOP type devices you are having trouble with, try the technique outlined in this video:

http://www.hagtech.com/media/solder.wmv

jh

I think a Soldapullt is too big for surface-mount work, although it is the cat's whatever for through-hole stuff. Desoldering braid is better for this miniature stuff.

(once upon a time I thought DIP components with 0.1" leadspacing were small... now I'm soldering stuff I can barely see.)

Hi, can you give us a little background on what you're trying to do? If it's just a one-off hobby project, I would look around for a local contract PCB assembly company and get them to solder it for me (if I can't do it myself).

In the past I've ordered several stainless steel stencils from MasterCut for the company I was working for. But for that kind of thing you need to liaise with the assembly guys to find out exactly what they need.

I have been using OSHPark for PCB's for a few projects. They pointed me in the direction of OSHStencils which, they say, is not a related company. $0.75 per square inch for polyimide stencil, but note that the boarder will be quite large relative to the actual board outline. OSH Stencils

What you pay for in a stencil you probably save in less wasted solder paste.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.