USB controller for external Cd drive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive searched but havent found anything here. What I have is a Plextor External Cd burner case with RCA outs. Since they dont make any PC CD drives with controls on the front, I was wondering if there was some sort of controller that connects via usb cable to operate the drive. I think it owuld be a nice little solution, but maybe Im just off my rocker?

You say you have a case, does this have a drive in it? is the connection between the drive and case through IDE?

There are a number of cd rom controllers over ide in the trading post section and also a large thread where a number of people have disclosed just about enough information to build your own - pic code etc.

AFAIK, there is no usb controller available, but perhaps you could use an IDE to usb converter with one of the kits to achieve what you want to do. Or if the case you are referring to does already have a drive inside it, you will more than likely find that there is an IDE interface on the actual drive itself and this would also allow use of one of the above mentioned kits.

My apoligies, after re reading your question, I see that I was thinking something completely different. There are no main stream CD controllers that I am aware of, however, I have seen on the web a few people that made their own IDE stand alone CD controllers, As the last person stated, it will require a PIC chip, some programming, and some know how. I did a quick search, and did not find any commercially available solution.

meepers,

as I said, there are a number of IDE kits available, for example here

or in the vendors section of this forum there are, I think, at least another couple of people selling kits. Most of these spawned from the huge cd rom controller thread, which now probably divulges enough information to build one of these. Kits are cheap though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.