SqueezBox substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came accross a box which I believe would act as a cheaper SqueezeBox (€100 - 500) as well as giving you additional functionality - TV decoding,reception& playback - a DreamBox

These are a range of Digital Video Broadcast set-top-box decoders. They are based on the IBM PowerPC CPU and run a open source Linux OS. Various Firmware images are available on the net with different capabilities - all support MP3 playback - One that I know of supports FLAC playback (PLi Helenite). All have TV decoding support

For those who need more here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox

They have a whole range of connections at the back (Scart, Ethernet, USB, SPDif, Aerial,etc) and can easily be part of a network so audio can be streamed to the box & with SPDif output they can link to a DAC.

As part of the range there are versions with internal HDD so no need to connect to network for audio files.

On top of all this you can connect to Cable, Satellite or Terrestial for TV and can play back recorded video.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Smcwaa-g

I think a more similar device to the Squeezebox (from an audio perspective) is the SMCWAA-G. You can get it for about $30-$40 USD from here http://www.buy.com/prod/SMC_EZ_Stre...dio_Adapter_SMCWAA_G/q/loc/273/202126283.html depending if it's on sale or not.

This has some of the same features as the SB, but no digital out - which may deter some people. I have 2 of these and they work very well. SQ is pretty good and I'm sure there's a good mod or 2 to be had. I'd like to see if a digital out mod can be done on this.

The device itself only supports MP3, WMA and WAV files, BUT, if you use TVersity or TwonkyVision media server (uPNP) you can transcode lossless files, FLAC in my case, to the device (if you have the proper codecs).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The dreambox looks interesting. There is a US distributor but I couldn't find any pricing info on their web site. A lot of SB owners passed on devices that require a TV to be on to display song titles, etc., but with the price of LCD monitors dropping all the time, maybe plugging into the dreambox would be a low power way to have a large, dedicated display.

The SMC box is also an interesting device, especially at $30. Clearly it has some limitations but at that price it's hard to argue against it. If you transcode .flac files and stream .wav to this box, will it display the tag contents?

I_F

I_Forgot said:
The SMC box is also an interesting device, especially at $30. Clearly it has some limitations but at that price it's hard to argue against it. If you transcode .flac files and stream .wav to this box, will it display the tag contents?

I_F

Yes. I also thought that there would be a lag time between tracks, but there's not.

I was only going to get one unit for the garage, but I ended up getting another one for my house. Eventually, I plan to do a comparison between the SMC (wav & flac) and CD. I'm just curious.

-Ken

I have been off air for a couple of days so I missed your posts.

Yea Kec, SMC looks interesting - do you know what chips it uses?. Just wondering if digital can be tapped off any internal chip pins - this would indeed make it more interesting.

The Dreambox has one advantage in that it's also a TV (cable, Satellite or terrestrial) receiver so also has the ability to stream video

John

jkeny said:
I have been off air for a couple of days so I missed your posts.

Yea Kec, SMC looks interesting - do you know what chips it uses?. Just wondering if digital can be tapped off any internal chip pins - this would indeed make it more interesting.

The Dreambox has one advantage in that it's also a TV (cable, Satellite or terrestrial) receiver so also has the ability to stream video

John

I opened the device for a quick look and found an STMicroelectronics 2527 (from what I can remember) near the analog connectors. Googled it and could not find anything specific on it. I need to do more thorough look at the chips.

Build quality is very good. I'll see if I can post some pics of the guts.

Listened to alot of tunes this past weekend in the garage. The SMC worked flawlessly. It's probably 150 feet from my Buffalo WHR-G54S (stock) through 3 walls. I'm impressed. I love this thing!

-Ken

I opened up a DreamBox DM500C and found a PCM1725 DAC doing the audio duties - I believe this is accepting I2S as input on pins 1,2 &3

It also has L & R analog output on pins 6 & 9 which maybe routed to the scart output? I don't yet know how well regarded, sonically, are these outputs but if my brief inspection of the board is correct each analog signal passes through a non-descript electrolytic capacitor of 33uF 16V. This could be improved by simply replacing these caps with higher quality caps as a first step.

A more complicated but better sounding mod would be to take the I2S from these pins and use as input to another DAC.

Anybody got suggestions? I have some TDA1387 DACs which I might try.

John

That's it Bas - I2S has less jitter issues I think and is said to sound better.

I'm looking for a high quality media centre box and this seems to qualify - can decode Cable, can play movies, can play high quality audio including WAV & FLAC (with I2S mod), can ethernet to a server, has no noise (no fan), has remote control, comes in different varities (single/dual tuner, internal HDD or not), mostly based on open source Linux OS and finally cheap

Only downside is the interface requires a TV but given the constant work being put into the OS we might see a version with Myth like GUI & output to small LCD screen feasible?

John

Opened up the SMC yesterday and took some pics.

The CPU, DM830, and PCB assembly are manufactured by BridgeCo. CPU has video and audio capabilities, except the video isn't used on the SMCWAA-G. The CPU can output I2S, I8S and SPDIF.

Chips info:

- U100, BridgeCo DM830-CQL (CPU)
- U210, Samsung K4S641632H-TC60 (64MB memory)
- U220, MX 29LV320ABTC-90G (flash memory)
- U7, Broadcom BCM4318KFBG (WiFi)
- U350, Davicom DM9161AE (ethernet transceiver)
- U700, 345C (10 pin, can't find info for this)
- U701, STMicroelectronics E2527 (8 pin, can't find info for this, not even STM)

I emailed BridgeCo to see if I can get a pin diagram of the CPU ( couldn't find anything in the application notes). I doubt I'll get a response from them.

ezstream.jpg

main.jpg

stm.jpg

Hi Ken,
Good photos - the easiest place to tap off I2S signal may well be from the DAC chip pins - that looks likely to be the U701 chip STM E2527 just behind the RCA ouputs.

If we can identify this chip we could probably make some progress

BTW Buy.com no longer have this box - "currently unavailable from the manufacturer" and it appears to be $100 - $150 elsewhere

John

jkeny said:
Hi Ken,
Good photos - the easiest place to tap off I2S signal may well be from the DAC chip pins - that looks likely to be the U701 chip STM E2527 just behind the RCA ouputs.

If we can identify this chip we could probably make some progress

Thanks John.

That was my plan, to tap off before U701, if it was indeed the DAC. But, I just can't find a datasheet for this chip. I may just send a pic (a better one) to STM and ask them.

BTW Buy.com no longer have this box - "currently unavailable from the manufacturer" and it appears to be $100 - $150 elsewhere

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I wondered how long it would take. Hopefully, they will get some more, but that may be unlikely.

DcibeL said:
Looks like I may have to purchase one of these SMC items, and hope that SMC has not disabled the SPDIF output on the CPU somehow. For $40 this is a real nice little device.

Even if SPDIF was disabled, you could tap I2S, which is better - or, so I hear.

jkeny said:
Hi Dcibel,
See my post above Buy.com no longer have them - if you can get them for $30 I would also be interested - let me know where and if shipping to Ireland does not cost more than the box, I might spring for one
I just purchased one on eBay. Sadly, shipping is nearly as expensive as the item itself. There is also a SMCWAA-B, which the only real difference between it and the SMCWAA-G is that is looks different and does not support WPA protected networks.

The reason why I want to use SPDIF instead of I2S is that I have a real nice DAC (Zhaolu 2.5). I guess I could modify the DAC to have a I2S input...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.