Sony SCD-1 or 777ES S-TACT Bypass is Noisy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2007, 11:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony SCD-1 or 777ES S-TACT Bypass is Noisy?

Has anyone tried the Sony SCD-1 or 777ES S-TACT Bypass?

If so, have you noticed a low level noise during quiet moments of a recording? It sounds like digital hash and a bit like birds chirping. It is quite intrusive with low level recordings or recordings with a lot of quiet like classical. Possibly some IM artifact? Whatever the S-TACT does, it appears to be removing this noise, since I do not hear it out of the stock outputs.

If you have heard this when bypassing the S-TACT, did you find a solution and what was it?

I have found that one channel is slightly noiser than the other which is helping me to pinpoint. I reversed the inputs to the VSE and the noisier channel followed the reversed input, so it is not the VSE causing the problem.

I have connected the outputs of the player directly to headphones and I still hear it, so I don't suspect IM distortion in the downstream components.

I had read somewhere that the VC-24 can get a little noisy when overloaded. Perhaps this is the issue since it is feeding into both my VSE as well as the S-TACT. I may remove the 4 331ohm pads to remove the S-TACT load and see if this solves the problem. Can I do this without impacting the operation of the player, other than disabling the stock outputs for DSD of course?

Do you think this will solve the problem, or will this problem only be solved by the S-TACT?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!