Digital Audio Formats

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
haldor said:
Anyone interested in the different digital audio standards and trends might want to take a look at this article just published in EDN. Interesting analysis of the advantages/disadvantages of all the audio formats competing to replace red book CD's.

------------------------------------------

There are many of these articles that are generalised comparisons. However, there are few articles that go into the details. For example, despite what is claimed, I cannot get 24/96 LCPM out of my DVD/PCI buses with Power DVD4 that claims to do so. Cyberlink has spent a week without being able to answer my support request.

I would like to see specific articles showing me how to enable hirez features on a computer. At present, it is like the blind leading the blind and one STUMBLES on various bits of haedware/software. NOT REALLY GOOD ENOUGH.

I thought the comments about problems with SACD and Philips/Sony motivation in promoting this standard are interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to SACD up till now, but I'm likely to upgrade my digital signal source this year and this caught my eye.

I also like reading info and opinion about audio that is written for a technical audience (EDN is very specifically targeted at electronic design engineers) and is not being influenced by advertising dollars in an audio magazine. It's pretty rare that electronics trade publications discuss audio in ways that might be interesting to audiophiles.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.