simple DAC with CS8416

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and this is picture of assembled device

Attachments

• p6023994.jpg
    p6023994.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 780
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm building it now but looking at the datasheet I'm not sure why pins 14-19 need to be set to 1/2Vcc? You have tied pin 26 (SD out) to GND via 47k, which shall place the chip in hardware mode. In hardware mode pins 14-19 are status output indicators, so am I safe to assume these can be left floating? It will make prototyping somewhat tidier if I can leave out the 12 47k resistors!

If it works on breadboard that's a good sign! Had to change the 0.1uF capacitor in the reset RC up to a larger value. I put 4.7uF but I'd recommend anything over 1uF.

The inductor is just experimental LRC filtering for the DAC supply, most of the noise on the output doesn't seem to be from the supply however as even when running the DAC from a totally seperate battery pack it still produces noise. Mostly above 20kHz it seems so I'll experiment with multi-pole output filters too.

Attachments

• SPDIF receiver and DAC prototype.jpg
    SPDIF receiver and DAC prototype.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 260
Hardware mode configuration

Hi All
I am new on this board and want to share my simple project with CS8416 and CS4334. Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance George

In your board, about pins:
14 connect 47K to VCC or GND
15 connect 47K to VCC or GND
16 connect 47K to VCC or GND
17 connect 47K to VCC or GND
18 connect 47K to VCC or GND
19 connect 47K to VCC or GND
20 connect 47K to VCC or GND

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.