music from PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2007, 07:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default music from PC

I’d like to use the PC as source for a second HiFi system (consisting in an integrated tube amplifier having an input sensitivity of 1 V rms and a CD-player Marantz CD63 S.E. + a couple of 93 dB speakers).
Unfortunately, the PC is 10 mt far from amplifier and CD-player.

What should I utilize to obtain a “good” signal for the amplifier?

An audio card … is not appropriate (10 mt of RCA-coassial cable … is too much for an audio card).
An USB device … is not appropriate (because it is longer than the 1.5 mt suggeted).

I think that a D/A converter with a SPDIF input could represent a possible solution.
The question is…which specific commercial devise to utilize?
I do not know any specific device.

Many thanks
Old 30th May 2007, 08:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to s_volkovoy
Look at this specific USB DAC, I already mentioned aboit it. It has separate power supply, galvanic isolation from PC and preatty good sound. w/o box it costs only 75USD. I sink it's a good solution for deck PC audio. For mobile 230V reqirement is troble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of p5260093.jpg (99.1 KB, 712 views)
Old 30th May 2007, 08:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to s_volkovoy
because it based on USB1.1 you can use qality cable and get at least 3m, if it's not enough you can use USB hub to make distance longer, as for me it's harder to get good sound through SPDIF, at least by toslink.
Old 31st May 2007, 01:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It has told to me that SPDIF is a good (or the best) means to transfer the digital data.
Old 31st May 2007, 04:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

USB 1.1 used for DAC = not that great an idea as the best it can do is 16 bit/44k or 16bit/48k audio.

USB 2.0 used for DAC is much, much better = 24 bit/48k or 24bit/98k (in many cases).

USB 2.0 extensions = http://industrialcomponent.com/vigor/vactive.html . or . http://industrialcomponent.com/bafo/bf3000.html ... these share the same USB hub chip, BUT either will "handshake" and degrade potential USB 2.0 performance to 24 bit/48k or worse. (You can "daisy chain" several of these for up to 15 meters [48 feet] and still pass 24bit/48k.)

The SPDIF scenario is much better as a DAC, with the potential of a "pure" digital to digital (coaxial or optical) interface between PC and DAC = better isolation between PC switching power and the external DAC conversion to analog audio resulting in better signal to noise reduction. Inexpensive example: http://industrialcomponent.com/maudio/us99130.html for 24bit/96k bandwidth, even when using the USB 2.0 extensions above ...

My usual rant: Is 24bit important? IMOP, yes definately as all DVD movie sound tracks are 24bit/48k or better and DVD-Audio discs can exceed 24bit/192k bandwidth. ("All CDs suck" - Bob Dylan refering to the abysmal quality of currently marketed 16bit music, even from his own company, Sony.)
=======
Mercenary announcement: I work for the company that operates the web catalog links above, but not for Sony.
Old 31st May 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default and the Squeezebox ?

Thank you for your praecious suggestions.
I'd like to submit another choice ... the Squeezebox.
How do you consider it?
It seems to have a very good D/A DAC (Burr Brown).

Antonio
Old 31st May 2007, 11:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Antonio Tucci: " ... and the SqueezeBox ? ..."

Yes!! I have one of those at the office ... I Love It, wouldn't know how to get decent iTune / Internet radio without it. I also consider it to be as good as it gets for under US$1000.00.

SQBx DAC is 24bit/96k and easily hooks directly to any analog stereo or multichannel amp (with or without a pre-amp). Set the levels on your amp and use the SQBx remote for level control & channel selections ...
Mercenary announcement: We were a dealer for the SqueezeBox (and other http://slimdevices.com stuff) until recently. We had to give it up when Logitech bought the company = their marketing folks don't do it our way. ... But that in no way detracts from the value of this fine gadget = highly recommended.
Old 1st June 2007, 02:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The SB3 is a great device. See my explanation of how to set up a system using it on my web page here:
http://mark.rehorst.com/Audio_System/index.htm

There is a lot of effort involved in setting up the library if you are going to rip your CDs. Some geekiness is prerequisite. If that doesn't put you off then by all means get an SB3.

I_F
Old 1st June 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I_Forgot: " ... I am not a believer in mythology. I like to see numbers. If there aren't any numbers, there isn't any engineering. ..." From your link above.

To some extent I would agree with this, however there are certain aspects of any well engineered device that does require a bit of art. Examples might be the Jaguar XKE, Apple Laptops, some office furniture ... or this device, the SqueezeBox III. ... well engineered equipment or application that appeals to even "purest" engineers' sense of taste and sensibilities resulting in a good piece of engineering being "great".

" ... There is a lot of effort involved in setting up the library ... Some geekiness is prerequisite. ... Setting it all up requires a geek ..."

This put me off for a time even though I've been working with digital gadgets for several decades. I expected the SQBx to be a device that supposedly easily interfaces with iTunes to be less complicated to setup and use. My advise to the less geeky: deal with it, it is well worth the struggle ...

Re: Quality verses Quantity = a Terabyte may not be enough ...

" ... The CD is dead. As a music storage medium it is as dead as Edison cylinder records. They take up space and clutter up the living room. ..."

The CD is dead for several other reasons as well. The SQBx (aka SB3) and several other digital devices point the direction that quality audio is headed and the poor quality, low resolution 16-bit CD scenario just doesn't make it anymore, even as a backup. ... modern consumer CD audio quality being generally poor, overly compressed and overdriven to the point of maximum SPL density and associated distortion = walls of noise without any distinction between the music and the musician. ("All CDs suck - Bob Dylan.)

I_Forgot (Mark): If you really are into the music as it appears you are, I'm sure you can dig up a CD copy of Carlos Santana's decent CD and compare it to the same album on DVD-Audio (Amazon search: "santana supernatural" shows both). A real eye opener comparison, the DVD-Audio version being a completely new experience, mostly because the mix down results = separation between the various musician. You can actually hear Eric and Carlos' guitar dual as they meant it to be and Eagle Eye's vocals come across as he would have prefered, performing with the band instead of on top of it. (As close to vinyl as you can get.) ...

As for your favorite, Tom Waits, you may have to go to Europe to find anything digital that is good enough to keep. Amazon.de search "tom waits" and get "Night on Earth - SZ-Cinemathek", DVD video with master tracks ADC to 24bit/48k PAL (zone 2). It does sound better, more dynamic, you can hear the pauses and the spit hitting the microphones ... (I'm sure you have the resources to snag the tracks from somewhere.)
Old 1st June 2007, 04:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I_Forgot,

Your comments on internet radio are spot on.

Man, this is exciting and I want to get some good quality out of my pc. Trouble is I don't know anything about this stuff, all I've done is take the audio out from my pc and plug it into the stereo. I don't know what soundcard I have or even how to find out.

Can someone point me to a good source of information on this stuff? Like what's the difference between a soundcard and a USB dac?

Can I somehow take a digital out from the computer and plug it into my dac which is 32/44.1/48 capable?

I am just interested in internet radio at the moment, but who knows, and seriously folks this is the most excited I have been about music for a long time!

Hide this!Advertise here!