Converting CAL CL10 5 disc player to a single disc player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2007, 02:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Converting CAL CL10 5 disc player to a single disc player

My California Audio Labs CL10 always had intermittent problems tracking discs.

So yesterday I pulled it apart and found a faulty connection where CAL had removed a crystal from the servo board and run co-ax to their control board. Nice work except someone forgot to solder the core of the co-ax so it was just sitting there rubbing away.

Easy fix and I was really chuffed until my daughter came and knocked the chassis onto the floor breaking the disc tray and the guides that it slides on. I gave up and had a few drinks.

Today I thought of scavenging parts from it but then I noticed that without the tray assembly there was a neat mechanism and lots of space and I thought how about a top loading single disc player using the magnetic puck to hold down the disc.

Spent most of the day seeing if it would work and eventually got a disc to play. Now (finally), to get to the point, I have some problems-

1. I have managed to bypass the open/close of the tray but I can't work out how to get around having the carousel spinning so the machine knows how many discs and where they are. When the tray turns it passes through a sensor and each of the 5 disc locations has a pattern of cutouts which I guess tells the machine where discs are. Any ideas on how I can get rid of all this?

2. Manually loading the cd onto the mechanism does not reset the table of contents. I presume this also has something to do with the rotation of the tray.

3. Without a remote I can't skip tracks or ff/rev.

Any help is most appreciated!

Hide this!Advertise here!