solar-fuel cell for dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hartono said:
believe it or not
I had that idea before ;)

I had the idea before you all. I was 2 years old at the time. ;)

I don't know very much about these things but hopefully someone will correct my errors ....

The voltage will vary with light level. (Of course)
The voltage will drop rapidly with increased current draw.

It would be quite expensive to get a large panel to supply enough current. It would need to supply ~3V more than required to keep the regulators happy.

How about trickle charging a battery instead?
I suppose that depends how long you listen to your music.

First I must say that I know very little about using solar cells for audio but I'll try to state a few thoughts ........

Have you tried your DAC with battery power? This is a good and simple way to see how removing ground loops and interference might improve the sound.

Your DAC is probably regulated. The regulator and supply caps help to lower the supply impedance. You will be using regulators and caps for a solar cell or a battery supply anyway. so .......

What will the difference be between battery and solar cells?

You could 'regulate' the light that feeds tha solar cell instead but what is the supply impedance when using unregulated solar cells as a supply?
I don't know enough to answer that myself.

Anyone got any opinions? I'm getting out of my depth here!!

Have you tried your DAC with battery power?

Sure :D I love battery

What will the difference be between battery and solar cells?

in term of sound difference ?? no idea :D

"You could 'regulate' the light that feeds tha solar cell instead but what is the supply impedance when using unregulated solar cells as a supply? "

yes you can use Incandescent lamp if you want , that's pretty regulated
the supply impedance is quite high, so you will need large/many solar cells.

I'll stick to batteries :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.