Krel DSP CDM-1 MkII Pickup Need Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The motor on my Krell CD-DSP got jammed and burned up the motor drive IC on the motor board and resistor on the lower pickup board. I replaced the motor drive IC but can't tell what the value was on the burnt resistor. The resistor is in series with another 1 ohnm resistor going to ground. The other side of resistor is going to the -8volt line. There is also a possibility that I bumped the pot on the motor board in disassembly it's at 2.63k which don't sound right. All the other pots on the sub board are set at even numbers ie 10k 750Ohm. If anyone has one of these CDM-1 MK II pickups and can check values or has a schematic-It would be greatly appreciated.

an I have the schematic as well. I own the same CD player that need to be fixed too.

What is problem with your player? I actually repaired mine and had it working perfect until I accidently jammed up motor. (Had disassembled to investigate squeaking noise and somehow a smal plastic piece lodged in the motor causing it to burn up IC and resistor).

My player does not read CD. I think the laser is gone. My friend who is more expert than me also confirm that laser is gone bad. The DAC part seem to working fine.

I search the forum and found a few laser head alternative. Unfortunatly, I can not find one yet locally.

WT said:
My player does not read CD. I think the laser is gone. My friend who is more expert than me also confirm that laser is gone bad. The DAC part seem to working fine.

I search the forum and found a few laser head alternative. Unfortunatly, I can not find one yet locally.

CDM1MK2 is a very good laser,has lond life.maybe the problem is the servo board.the board is not very stable.
or you can fine a CDM4 laser and exchange the part of laser,they are the same.

good luck.

Mine had the same problem. First it would try to spin but was slipping. I noticed the rubber grommet on the aluminun hub was almost worn off so I took acetone and cleaned it all the way off. I then took a broken sony playstation and removed the rubber grommet from that. This can be done by taking a heat gun or hair dryer and gradually heating it up(the glue comes off easily once its heated) make sure you remove any glue reside from this so the rubber will be even. Next lay it on its back and spray some duro spray adhesive from about a foot away-wait 30 seconds and place on hub-you will probably have to work with it to get it even. It doesnt go all the way to tthe edge like the original but is slightly thicker which ends up being the perfect height.(I also used this trick to repair Nakamichi cd700-the early version with the poorly designed mechanism). Now ther was no slippage but the player would only read 1 or 2 tracks and would not read some discs.. I then removed the servo board from the pickup and found a defective 33uf capacitor on the servo board(it measured around 29uf) I prefer using a esr meter if you have one. After replacing the cap it would read all tracks on even very scracthed discs. Also you may want to check the 2 big pots on the servo board. The 22k should read around 10k and the 4.7k should read around 750ohm (alot of people mess with the pots and get them off spec) Hope this helps.

I found resistor that burned to be 1.2 ohm on the schematic but this makes no sense to me. I replace it anyway the disc spins and reads the time on disc. You hit play and it won't turn. The -8 bolt regular feels so hot you can't touch it. Here's the schematic (Thanks robo) The reason I can't beleive this is supposed to be a 1.2 ohm resistor is that 1 side is the -8volt regulator(I traced it) the other side is ground(hence the super hot -8volt regulator). I included the schematic in case anyone can make sense of this circuit.

Attachments

• cdm1mk2.jpg
    cdm1mk2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 618
Panasonic DVD A300

Hi qto127,

I'm new to the forum, my keen interest involves any digital av and some industrial designs. Will be doing some upgrading on my Marantz CD63KI asa new parts arrive. I also have a Panasonic DVD A300 player, trouble-free for 7yrs since new until it died. Will be grateful if anyone has schematics/advice for my DVDp. The laser and focus can turn on but disc motor and sled cannot move. What is this type of discmotor with a 11-pin ribbon cable and does the driver IC AN8482SB any good? The motor has no resistance reading, where to source for a replacement, or any idea please? Thanks.:smash:

Krell CD-DSP MkII Schematics

Hi everyone,

just by chance found your nice forum trying to get around with my broken Krell CD-DSP Mk II.
The beast apparently has happened to have problems with a faulty analog output part, as it started wildly jamming both XLR and CINCH terminals. Sometimes there is no output at all.
The CD transport works perfect, however, as it continues to read all the tracks from every CD I gave it.

Does anyone has a schematic of this wonderful machine?
Any hints/ideas would be also appreciated.

Please mail me under alexsprivat@hotmail.com

Thanks attached!

I wish someone would have schematics for this unit. I don't think Krell released them to the general public because I can't find one for sale anywhere even on vintage schematic sites. I finally fixed my unit but it was from schematics of the pickup which some members submitted from phillips 880 (same pickup). I contacted krell about my unit before I fixed it and they said that they fixed output problems but didn't fix pickup related issues because pickup is no longer available. I know they would charge an arm& leg but it may be your best option after you have checked the simple stuff. I bought mine used and the first thing I noticed was the 2 large power supply filters were puffed out-I replaced them before I cut it on so I don't know what problems they would have been causing. This is a complex unit but definately worth spending some time or money to get fixed.

Thanks for a prompt reply, gto127.

Pity that you think nooone would ever have these schematics, though.
Do you think it is worth inspecting the unit by myself ?
I wonder if I can ever made it repaired by Krell - just got it second hand from a local handler w/o any warranties 2 years ago. It was more than 10 y.o. so I was told.

Cheers,
AlexS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.