a thought - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2003, 07:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default a thought

just posting to say hi and to ask if anyone has done any experimenting with digital cameras. I saw an ad for a 1.3Mpixel camera and was/am thinking about possibilty for putting the innards and marrying to an slr camera body.
I prefer slr because you can use your own lenses and do more creativity with it other than point and click. I also would like to be able to modify a digital and place the ccd prtion, with some control for use at the backend of a telescope

Ideas/comments suggestions?
Old 22nd January 2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default Digital Camera Experiment

Hi riehman,
The pixel area is reather small so you get problems with the distance form lens rear to film/pixelchip.
Lenses for digital amera's generaly have smaller focuslength than for old fashioned SLR cameras.
A 4 x 4 cm pixel/digital camera adapter for the 6 x 6 cm Hasselblad costs a fortune (price of a middleclass car here in Europe).
Hope this helps.
Old 22nd January 2003, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Tazzy
Buy a Canon digital EOS Body instead?
Secondhand lenses won't be a problem I think
Old 23rd January 2003, 04:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Reihman,

To successfuly accomplish that, the CCD would need to be the size of a 35mm negative, that is to say 24x36 mm. The CCD from most digital camera's (at least the 1-2 Mpix ones) are only a few square mm's.

Several manufacture's make digital SLR bodies, which accept 35mm lenses. Canon, Nikon, Fuji & Kodak come to mind. Prices are still high (several thousands $$), but they are steadily falling.

The problem is that a large CCD is very expensive to manufacture.
Old 23rd January 2003, 05:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

is there anyway to prefocus to a small ccd imager?

guess i need to do some optics research..even if it isnt feasible $ its still a learning process..which is why i THINK people joined this forum.. to learn

which is why i was so surprised at the first response i received.
Old 28th January 2003, 09:00 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Digital SLR Camera

Hi riehman,
Still thinking about what you meant in your post. I just read the Dutch Camera Magazine 5-2002. It features the Canon EOS-1 Ds with a 35.8 x 23.8 mm sensor and a 50mm lens. It seems to have interchangeable lenses as it is pictured with a 50 mm lens and also with a 24 -70 mm zoomlens. I have no idea if older Canon lenses fit. BTW price of the Canon is here 10000 Euro....
Kodak makes the DCSPro14n also full small format covering pixelsensor.
With a suitable mounting ring it shouldn't be too dificult to attach the body to a telescope... Focussing is done through the viewer with the mirror in 45 degree position.
I hope this information is helpful. Photography is my other passion besides HiFi.
Old 29th January 2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Classic and digital cameras compatibility

Hello rlehman,

What you want is not exactly what manufacturers want. And they donít want to sell you one cheap camera body/camera back/one chip or whatever you can think about when youíre looking for not expensive crossing to digital photography. The only real solution to go digital is to get whole digital system.

When it is about Canon, year and half ago they had EOS D30, 3.1 Mpix digital SLR camera which accepts classic Canon EF lenses (with 1.6x magnification factor) and EX speedlites. Cost was 3000$, now it is replaced by D60 (6 Mpix) and surely can be bought for much less money now. Nikon has something similar.

Pedja
Old 29th January 2003, 02:50 PM   #8
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default Re: a thought

Quote:
Originally posted by rlehman
just posting to say hi and to ask if anyone has done any experimenting with digital cameras. I saw an ad for a 1.3Mpixel camera and was/am thinking about possibilty for putting the innards and marrying to an slr camera body.
I prefer slr because you can use your own lenses and do more creativity with it other than point and click. I also would like to be able to modify a digital and place the ccd prtion, with some control for use at the backend of a telescope

Ideas/comments suggestions?
I am in need of a low priced PC-compatible Digital Camera
I have USB-jacks, two on the front, Windows ME
Can think of spending 300-400 Euros(dollars).

Shloud I wait for prices going down,
or are there any good alternatives out there?

Must have reasonable, not top, picture quality.
Does not have to be too much zoom.

Halo - going to give you some pictures
of his sound-system & things

Hide this!Advertise here!