PCM2707 -> I2S -> PCM1794 clocking query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably a stupid question, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of things, and am trying to learn :). But there's a hell of a lot to take in... I'm about 3/4 done on the schematics, so I'm not that far off!

If I want to use different sample rates(for audio and DVD), then I need to use an ASRC, don't I? I can't just hook up the 2707 directly to the 1794? If The AD1896 is rather a lot of money from Farnell here in the UK - £20 or thereabouts. I don't mind buying it if I need it, but if I don't... ;)

The card will be primarily used for audio, but I'd like to be able to watch films on the PC as well. I'm not keen on using software resampling, because the box may eventually be used on an xBox, modded with XBMC.

Cheers,

--Rich

Oh wow! Excellent! I was expecting to hear that the answer was no - I'm chuffed to save some money :).

Would I stand to gain anything by implementing the ASRC? I know it helps reduce jitter, but this first circuit isn't going to be terribly high-fidelity. It'll be IC's mounted on DIP adaptors, and then into veroboard. I figured it'll be good enough for experimenting, and once I work out exactly what I'll need, I'll design a PCB around my chosen components.

Cheers,

--Rich

I'm far from being an authority on these things - it's just something I've looked into doing, and am part-way through building. Please listen to others before you base any decisions on my comments or advice.

But from what I've read, i2s is preferable over spdif because it carries less jitter. Going from the PCM2706/7 to the PCM1794/8 using i2s would be better in terms of having a lower component count, and lower cost, as well as reduced jitter. But if you wanted to keep your options open regarding future use, spdif isn't a bad idea - you would find it much easier to switch from using the PC as a source, to a CD player, for example.

How about basing your design around having one PCB for the DAC, and output stage, with the input being fed via i2s? You could then build a separate module for the interface - whether it be an spdif receiver, or a USB->i2s converter.

Mounting the two boards next to each other, and passing i2s from receiver PCB to DAC PCB over very short(<50mm) wires shouldn't hurt much, IMO. You could also go through an ASRC IC(SRC4192 or AD1896), to help reduce jitter and remove any issues regarding clock timing?

Good luck!

--Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.