Playing with ROMs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple weeks back I posted regarding using an old sony ROM as a CD player and since then I have had some encouraging success. I got hold of an LG ROM "95" vintage for $2.00, this turned out better sound than the Sony and was better built inside too, which led to zero circuit noise, unlike the Sony. More importantly it runs dead silent at regular speed CD speed.

Eventually I will run it through a DAC, most likely the Monica but for now I am just using the analogue output.

So here is the really neat bit, I built a regulated power supply for it that runs from 12V SLA and was utterly amazed at the difference in sound quality this brought about, basically far better detail, very little grain and tighter bass. It can get a little congested in the really complex stuff but overall it is quite a lot better than I expected and vastly better than off the computer power supply.

I feel confident that the DAC will clear things nicely, but now I am wondering if trying a valve buffer unit might be a nice improvement, anyone tried one with a ROM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.