Which is your favourite mid-price clock kit and why? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2007, 09:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which is your favourite mid-price clock kit and why?

Further to my previous post "Review of various clocks for cd63", this heading outlines my enquiry a bit better.
It also makes for broarder appeal.
Might be interesting too.
Old 15th May 2007, 12:35 AM   #2
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Dublin,

I was hoping all the most experienced guys would share their experiences on this exact subject. Sure there are threads all over the place about clocks. Most have a comment or two here or there from the guys who have done many but not a elaborate as we are asking you guys to post now (except for maybe Guido and Elso of course). Some of the clock mods are done or talked about by guys like us who will probably only do it once every lifetime or so. Many clock upgrade threads also talk about a particular CD Player. It really would be nice to keep these experiences more about the clocks and why it is their favorite based on their experiences (of many different installs) and keep the CDPs generic unless there is some exceptional reason.

So come on all you Pros, share this experience with those of us who need to see the bigger picture or that one detail usually not talked about, that might just sway us one way or another! We want to make the best decision once! We don't want to challenge your opinions (not me anyway) I just want to pick the best one for my situation (and probably everybody else too). I appreciate your experience. It's like a MasterCard commercial, "Priceless"!

This can be the thread just about the mid priced clocks! Thanks from Dublin and me and all the other DIYers who this will help!

Regards//Keith
Old 15th May 2007, 01:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KP11520

share this experience with those of us who need to see the bigger picture or that one detail usually not talked about, that might just sway us one way or another!
What makes you so sure there is a bigger picture ?
Old 15th May 2007, 01:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

this is my favorite clock kit as it reminds me of the beaudacious Annette Funicello:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:12 AM   #5
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

First, there has to be a bigger picture... every year my eyes are getting worse (started right after 40). Or I won't see it coming!

Second, Jack I thought about using that one too but it's certainly not a mid-priced clock (it's probably worth a fortune on eBay) and I have no clue on where to mount it in my CD Player.
Also, have you seen Annette lately?

I'm thinkin more like Christina Aguillar (Yummy)
Old 15th May 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KP11520
Also, have you seen Annette lately?

She suffers from MS, heard about this maybe 10 years ago.
Old 15th May 2007, 12:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you KP11520.
You stated my thoughts much more elegantly. As you say, I am sure that this subject will be a useful reference to us amateur diyers, if the "experts" chip in.

In order to start things off, I am looking at:

The Hagclock, as it seems very good value, and includes a voltage regulator. http://www.hagtech.com/hagclock.html

TentLabs, as the X0-3 seems advantageous for transport only duty. http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/cdu...xo3/index.html

Trichord Research. http://www.trichordresearch.com/cdupgrades.html

Audiocom International. The Sperclock3 seems quite expensive, but there are still some Superclock2 avaialble. http://www.audiocom-uk.com/control/n...asp?a=105&z=15

Kwak-Clock-7. This seems well thought of, but is for the more adventurous. I am happy to stuff a board with supplied components, but building from scratch is more than I wish to take on at the moment. I believe that Elso used to supply PCBs and components. Does anyone know whether this is still available, and if so, where?

There are some more out there???

What are peoples experiences with these, in terms of jitter levels, and ultimately sound quality?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Why do you think the tentlabs xo-3 seems advantageous for transport only duty?
Surely it would be just as good feeding a DAC?

Cheers,
Phil
Old 15th May 2007, 02:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Phil

To quote from Tentlabs website:

"XO3 is intended to be used when external DACs are connected. XO3 is equal to XO2, but contains an additional reclocking circuit for the digital output (SPDIF). This circuit reduces the jitter at that output. The incoming jitter at the DAC will be lower, resulting in better sound."

So, you are correct.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

No opinions?
Maybe all clock kits are much the same?

Hide this!Advertise here!