Sony CDP-711...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guy's,
Got given one of these the other day and was wondering if it's any good, I have opened it up and there is a LOT of room inside the chassis for more power supplies, etc..

At the moment i am haveing trouble finding what DAC it uses (i.e. i cant see one anywhere in the player.. just voltage regulators and op amps :S ) And i havent been able to find any schematics.

Anyone have any schematics for this player? Any ideas what DAC it uses and where it is in the player?
Any opinions?
Am i just wasteing my time?

It's pretty old, has been in the family for quite a few years so i was thinking of replaceing the capacitors for a start and just giving it a good clean and seeing what it sounds like then, it dosnt sound too bad at the moment, just seems something is missing in the sound.. :S

Cheers,
Owen

Mabey it is called something different in the UK and USA? This one is from germany...
Here are some photo's, as you can see it looks pretty basic in there, there is a microprocessor on the front pannel pcb, i was thinking mabey that had the DAC built in (software DAC mabey? is there such a thing?)..

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Not the best photos i know but might be of some help...
I'll find out what the op-amps and regualtor chips are aswell..
Cheers,
Owen

For a quick and easy boost, change the NE5532 to the OPA2134 or AD825 (2 on a Browndog adaptor to make a dual) and change the output caps to some Nichicon ES or similar. Will give it a nice lift in SQ without lots of dollars.

Put IC sockets in so you can swap op amps easily to hear the changes. There are heaps of different opamps you can try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.