Anyone know the Krell kps20i ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 09:09 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEno View Post
Try to get something about the real old stuff like KSA/KMA/KRS/PAM Series.
There's a lot of that old stuff out there that will need servicing.
Same with the Levinson ML Series apart from the ML-2 that's well documented on the Web.
Rowland and Nelson Pass are really great in that era so that should influence your choice when your in the market for some new audio stuff.
I agree. Also Crown, Harman/JBL and Bryston must be mentioned in this case.
From Linn ltd I have heard, that all service informations/schematics are to order there from all models, in which Linn itself do not longer offer/perform a repair service (LK-1 and LK2-80 and Klout are examples).
I will start next time a thread to get a list of all audio brands, who offer both completly and partly service documents and who don't offer any service documents like German Brand Burmester e. g.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 10th November 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:12 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
I agree. Also Crown, Harman/JBL and Bryston must be mentioned in this case.
From Linn ltd I have heard, that all service informations/schematics are to order there, if Linn itself don't offer a repair service (LK-1 and LK2-80 and Klout are examples).
I will start next time a thread to get a list of all audio brands, who offer both completly and partly service documents and who don't offer any service documents.
That would be great!
Old 11th November 2011, 01:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

When I was subleasing shop space from a Krell dealer ten years ago, Krell would always give me per-unit authorisation to do warranty repairs when needed, but, even then, would never give up so much as a schematic except some small section needed on one or two occassions for a repair. Even if they were liberal with info, though, I can't think of more than one or two Krell models of anything which I would consider worth owning(and only with upgrading). The first generation amps are the only such things that come to mind.

However, abosolutely the WORST about giving up one shred of service info was Proceed, even now that they are basically a ghost shell company under Harman.
Old 11th November 2011, 05:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
When I was subleasing shop space from a Krell dealer ten years ago, Krell would always give me per-unit authorisation to do warranty repairs when needed, but, even then, would never give up so much as a schematic except some small section needed on one or two occassions for a repair. Even if they were liberal with info, though, I can't think of more than one or two Krell models of anything which I would consider worth owning(and only with upgrading). The first generation amps are the only such things that come to mind.

However, abosolutely the WORST about giving up one shred of service info was Proceed, even now that
they are basically a ghost shell company under Harman.
I don't understand this term:
"ghost shell company"

Ghost in the Shell:
Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From a Proceed PCD-2 CD Player I have create a comletly schematic (except the transport section, because this comes from Philips) because it was not available about SUN-AUDIO in Germany..
I have posted here anywhere.
Old 12th November 2011, 01:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

What I meant was that Proceed is not, as far as I've been able to find out, producing anything any more, but still exists as a company/division under Harman Kardon ownership. Despite their near defunct status, they still refuse to give up a shred of info. This makes no sense to me.
Old 20th December 2011, 05:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Kreel KPS20i has gone dead

My Krell KPS20i has gone dead

I have a spare laser but that did not work either.
Even have a complete spare CDM9-Pro turntable from another much cheapre CD Player but I think the platter on top of the spindle is different.
Krell had that altered probably for it's clamper.
Any suggestions how to proceed?
Can I get the platter of without ruining the brushless motor?

Send some pics soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KPS20i CDM9-Pro.jpg (88.2 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by RobertS61; 20th December 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
Old 20th December 2011, 06:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Standard Philips CDM9-Pro

Was out of time on my former post.
Here a standard CDM-9Pro one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philips-cdm9-pro Standard.jpg (98.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 21st December 2011, 03:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you are not sure the platter motor is bad, that it may be just the laser that's bad, it's not hard at all to transfer the laser from one to the other. If the platter motor is bad(saw that happen exactly once on this mech), then you'd have to either attempt platter transfer(possibly by using a heatgun carefully to make the platter metal expand a bit on the shaft), but it may not be possible without excess risk.
Old 21st December 2011, 07:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
If you are not sure the platter motor is bad, that it may be just the laser that's bad, it's not hard at all to transfer the laser from one to the other. If the platter motor is bad(saw that happen exactly once on this mech), then you'd have to either attempt platter transfer(possibly by using a heatgun carefully to make the platter metal expand a bit on the shaft), but it may not be possible without excess risk.
Hi Stephen,

I already swapped the laser but no luck either.
It moved a bit, the old one was completely dead, but it did not read any data.
Is it a correct assumption that when the laser doesn't read any data the motor will not spin?
Old 21st December 2011, 02:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEno View Post
Hi Stephen,

I already swapped the laser but no luck either.
It moved a bit, the old one was completely dead, but it did not read any data.
Is it a correct assumption that when the laser doesn't read any data the motor will not spin?
As I know, you must check follow steps without cd insert after switch on:
1) laser head must move in start position
2) lens must go up and down several times (focus search). While this time laser light must go in "ON" position.
If happen this, insert cd and press start bottom. Either cd starts to rotate (FOK signal is present) or cd don't start to rotate (FOK signal isn't present).
You need actually a flow chart diagram for troubleshooting from the service manual.
As I know, krell haven't his own PCB for the servo board - this must actually be a genuine part from Philips. With help of the equipped ICs of that board below the mechanism - go to the image about
review33.com - ????
it must be an easy task to find out the associated Philips model. Now you can order the service manual for this model.
Independent of this you can contact Mr. d'Agostino for the Krell schemas - check out therefore this thread:
Dan d'Agostino MOMENTUM: Sonic Character like pure ClassA/SE despite low Idle Power ?

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 21st December 2011 at 02:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!