hello new here, need some advice...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I have been contemplating about building a dedicated computer for my films and music and such...

Having run into Hypex, i started thinking: would it be possible to integrate the two things. The computer and the amplifier? Considering I know practicly nothing about building audio components th hypex products looked like a easier way to get started. Can someone enlighten me about the feasibility of this thought? I am obviously thinking about interference and the like...

PS. I have built my own speakers in the past, they sound better than I would have imagined...

For audio, try http://www.slimdevices.com

You use your computer as a server, but it is kept out of the room where its noise will not interfere with the sound of your music.

For video/movies I believe there are other products available.

In the US it is illegal to copy your own DVDs to your own HDD or to make a back-up copy of the disc, so theoretically we wouldn't expect to see video servers that can serve up DVDs from an HDD here. Of course, you also wouldn't expect there to be hardware and software available that let you copy DVDs either, yet both are common, so maybe there will be plenty of video servers, too.

I_F

Generaly, integrating amplifiers into PC is quite possible. But only that fact that amplifier is inside the system block is not good, especialy when you try to supply amp from PC's switching mode power sypply.
I prefer that even DAC is outside the computer's cabinet. Maybe, slim PC case with digital output + DAC with amplifier in separate box could be resonable alternative of single unit?

The idea as i have it now, is to have two seperate sections in the same housing. One for the amplifier, the other half housing all the computer bits. with the two pieces having their own powersupply as well.

Is there something to consider, like earthing the housing or what not?

Getting away of all these different boxes is really why i would want to do this. After seeing the size of the 690 chipset motherboards, i got serious about it.

I am not after the perfect sounding system, however, when doing this i would like to be somewhat sure i am not building a complete hog ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.