Marantz CD-53 transport problems, please advise. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2007, 09:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD-53 transport problems, please advise.

Hi,

I have got this marantz CD-53 mk.

When I have not used it for many hours, and I turn it on it won't play tracks on the first 30-40 minutes of a CD. Or it might not recognize the CD sometimes. When I start to play the first track it will skip heavily and after a few seconds it stops.

When I leave it on for like 20-30 minutes it will play almost flawlessly from the first track.

Today I opened it up and pressed slightly on the plastic part marked with the arrow (very slightly) and it played flawlessly from the first track. When I pulled my finger off the plastic part of the transport it started skipping heavily again. When some weight was on this part it played. Even when I had not warmed the player up for 20-30 minutes.

http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1385qh2.jpg

and here is the transport from the underside in case this helps

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1386oz3.jpg

Has anyone seen such behaviour before? Can you speculate what this could be due to and how to fix??

By the way i had this SONY scd-xb770qs SACD player and it played redbook MUCH better than this marantz CDP. Will this player get a lot more decent with a few mods?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 29th April 2007, 09:36 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Marantz CD-53 transport problems, please advise.

Quote:
Originally posted by marios_mar
Hi,

I have got this marantz CD-53 mk.

When I have not used it for many hours, and I turn it on it won't play tracks on the first 30-40 minutes of a CD. Or it might not recognize the CD sometimes. When I start to play the first track it will skip heavily and after a few seconds it stops.

When I leave it on for like 20-30 minutes it will play almost flawlessly from the first track.

Today I opened it up and pressed slightly on the plastic part marked with the arrow (very slightly) and it played flawlessly from the first track. When I pulled my finger off the plastic part of the transport it started skipping heavily again. When some weight was on this part it played. Even when I had not warmed the player up for 20-30 minutes.

http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1385qh2.jpg

and here is the transport from the underside in case this helps

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1386oz3.jpg

Has anyone seen such behaviour before? Can you speculate what this could be due to and how to fix??

By the way i had this SONY scd-xb770qs SACD player and it played redbook MUCH better than this marantz CDP. Will this player get a lot more decent with a few mods?

Thanks a lot!!

To answer the last part of your question first.......

YES !!!!! see the huge CD63/73 thread for ideas.
Some simple mods give excellent results eg improve the power supply, new clock with its own supply, replace opamps, remove muting and headphone circuits etc.

As for your other problem, it sounds as if the mechanism is not correctly set up. It is simple to remove from the cdp. Clean all traces of grease and oil from the gears and sliders. It hardens with age and stops the mech. from working.

Andy
Old 29th April 2007, 09:42 PM   #3
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

...seems like either a bad contact (old solder joint or some connector loosening up) or bad lubrification/dirt in the mechanic parts.

If it's worse on the first tracks of the disk, it's more likely to be mechanic: when the head moves away from the "blocked" part it works better. Or when warmed up it "lubricates" again.

_
Old 29th April 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

...and you can pick up a new mechanism for about 30.

The original is called a CDM12.1 but you won't find one of those. There's a newer replacement called a VAM1202 which is backwards compatible. I've installed these in two CD-63s and a CD-67SE.

...but try following Andy's advice first.
Old 30th April 2007, 05:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The cd spin motor is worn out (bearing of the shaft).
Lubricate and the problem will reduce.
U have to replace the motor.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 30th April 2007, 05:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the replies.

If the problem is mechanical, why would it stop existing when the cdp is on power for like 20-30 minutes?

I will try the lubrication process, since the player screeches when i get the tray in and out and I also hear noise when the CD plays and skips. When it doesnt skip I dont get much noise.
Old 1st May 2007, 03:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

If the unit is old enough and/or been heating up in use for long (all relative terms), then it can have a dry solder problem. The symtoms show signs for both the possibilities, mechanical and loose contact due to dry solder.

Gajanan Phadte

Hide this!Advertise here!