cheap DVD player as transport and a separate DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a DVD player with a separate DAC(20 bit instead of 24bit from DVD), this combo sounds better that the built-in DVD's DAC.

The problem with DVD compared to Cd player is that the former takes much longer to load music tracks than CD player.

My suggestion is that you buy a good quality 2nd hand CD player from ebay. There are still many cd players out there eg. Teac, Pioneer, sony, denon with digital output.
I am still waiting.

I have made for about 3 years a dvd-dac combo player. I have used Pioneer dvd-575 player. Meauserment at MTK main processor spdif out shows perfect spdif square signal. Because of that and a quite reliable transport i have modified it.I made double chasis under player. It has al the power supplies in it. In upper chasis is mainboard, transport and dac. First it was CS4398 dac. It sounds quite good...very analog but to soft in spatial... bass was not solid enough, and dynamic was not so good. A year later I heavily modified V-dac...and put it in dvd-dac player. The sound is unbeliveable good. I have made many tweaking...listening..tweaking...listening ...tweaking... :) This year I bought Buffalo3 dac for replacement of the V-dac. Box out, Buffalo dac is ...nothing special. Measurements show some problems wih tridents... Clock supply trident make some noise trought all other regulators...here you must do some job... Ivy stage is also modified (IC, Capacitors, Resistors)...because output IC Lm4562 (thin, undynamic) later replaced with metal can Lme49720 (better than lm4562) was still to sharp digital sounding. At end I deceided for LME49990 and put it in classA. Supply is SalasShunt (set at 1A out) for Buffalo dac section and DIYZONE shunt regulator for analog stage. Sound now is much more dynamic, resolution is excellent, but V-dac is still better. Maybe resolution is a not so fine, but dynamic, bass, colour, 3d presentation is a little bit better. I compared both dacs with Sabre Minimax dac on SOULSONIC speakers and Minimax was 2 class down of both DAC-s.

Don*t use cheap chinese player, because of bad transport. Pioneer players are preaty cheap, and they will work longer.
Some pictures
www.audio-kontakt.com :: Poglej temo - DAC?
www.audio-kontakt.com :: Poglej temo - DIY DAC

Attachments

• miro2.jpg
    miro2.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 158
  • miro4.jpg
    miro4.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 149
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.