Troubles with TDA1541 -follow up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Troubles with TDA1541 -follow up

Some time ago I posted a question about overheating DAC chip in my Arcam Alpha 5
I decided to leave Arcam for better time and concentrate on my other Philps based player -old Mcintosh MCD7007 with TDA1541 S1 on board. My DIY skills are rather basic so I decided to play safe and use the modules already provided by DIY oriented manufacturers. Here is the short description of moding stages :
1) I changed all rectifier diodes to shottky , PSU capacitors to Panasonic and TDA decoupling caps from 0.22PCB ones to 0.1/50VMKP with 2uF on 7 ,24 pins. I did not like the sonic result at first , bass heavy and "confused " sound probably due to the capacitor break-in .It cleared up a little in the end of the day but I still wanted to put those PCB decoupling caps back.
2) I put together Hagclock the next day -it worked from the first time (big relief ) and installed it right after .Sound became lighter and smother a little but I think I still liked better the original rough sound of unmoded unit .
3) I removed SAA7220 and put Net-audio NO-OS (and 1/2 clock) board instead and connected it to hagclock .Rats !!Finally a real improvement across the board .This SAA7220 is really a stinker!
4)Removed ancient NE5534 I/V and bessell filter stage and installed Erno Borbelly J-fet discrete opamp covereter /filter with PSU regulators on board . I think I will keep this CD-player for some time ;0) and I understand now why some people like these TDA1541 players .
I tried to do as cost affective as I could without screwing up the player (which like all Mcintosh gear is sort of collectible ) and I think the hagclok (~36 board +~$30 parts ) + Net-Audio NOS board (40GBP without crystal ) is one of the better options for clock upgrade on Philips based players. Erno Borbely kits are a little more expensive but I had a i/V leftover from other project (Rakk dac)so it was at no cost to me. Now if I could only restore the digital output .... Regards,L

Hide this!Advertise here!