Chinese DAC in a Box: CS8416 / CS4397 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2007, 08:56 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not very impressed with mine, what difference should I be hearing compared with say a standard internal DAC from a marantz CD67? night and day? I have connected the DAC via coax and optical and with the standard RCA out connected to the amp I can quickly switch between the DAC in box and the marantz via the input select on the amp, cant hear any difference what so ever
Wow that's mighty quick delivery Only here you mention something to the contrary 3 DAYS AGO

Quote:
Surely if I buy a DAC then modding the CDP will ownly make it sound even better? or are all the mods to the marantz players based around its internal DAC?
Sorry you comment here smells funny
Old 5th January 2007, 09:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Got mine, but still need to sort out a proper PSU for it. The DC blobking caps are likely polyester, so need removing ASAP, with of course a split rail PSU for the op-amp.
Old 6th January 2007, 07:27 AM   #23
matt J is offline matt J  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteM

Wow that's mighty quick delivery Only here you mention something to the contrary 3 DAYS AGO

Sorry you comment here smells funny
I dont like the sound of what you're implying Pete? do I have any reason to lie?

delivery time is the only good thing about it, I ordered it on the 3rd and it arrived the morning of the 5th, not bad from hong kong, still not impressed and no I havent tried it on the battery supply, I had to use the supplied 12v AC adapted to fit a UK socket. I suppose I can try it with a battery but it will cost 1/3 of the price of the DAC, will the performance increase justify the cost? I'm willing to wager no.
Old 6th January 2007, 09:04 AM   #24
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt

I never used it with the delivered PSU, and I did not recommend it.

Even Mr. Wu is recommending using another PSU eg. Batteries.

Dont forget: I was talking about a nice module to use for DIY.

My recommendation to you: take a 12VAC tranny followed by a bridge or diode rectifier, some 1000uF or more cap followed by a LM7812 followed by some 1uF or more as PSU.

Afterwards, I will be very interested in your comment.

Regards
Franz

P.S.
Actually I am messing around with a humming audio stage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brummstatus_kleinformat.jpg (89.5 KB, 3386 views)
Old 6th January 2007, 10:53 AM   #25
Foxx510 is online now Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt J

I dont like the sound of what you're implying Pete? do I have any reason to lie?

delivery time is the only good thing about it, I ordered it on the 3rd and it arrived the morning of the 5th, not bad from hong kong, still not impressed and no I havent tried it on the battery supply, I had to use the supplied 12v AC adapted to fit a UK socket. I suppose I can try it with a battery but it will cost 1/3 of the price of the DAC, will the performance increase justify the cost? I'm willing to wager no.
I wonder if you are expecting too much from such a cheap DAC given that you are running a pretty good cd player already. I looked at it as a way of making my 15 year old Pioneer cd player sound ok for a small outlay. It has done that well. From what I understand, power supply is critical to make these dacs sound good, so maybe you will notice a difference running it from a battery.
Old 7th January 2007, 09:54 AM   #26
matt J is offline matt J  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz G
[B]Hi Matt

I never used it with the delivered PSU, and I did not recommend it.

Even Mr. Wu is recommending using another PSU eg. Batteries.

Dont forget: I was talking about a nice module to use for DIY.

My recommendation to you: take a 12VAC tranny followed by a bridge or diode rectifier, some 1000uF or more cap followed by a LM7812 followed by some 1uF or more as PSU.

Afterwards, I will be very interested in your comment.

Regards
Franz
Hi Franz,

Thanks for the DIY tips, unfortunately all the above is like a foreign language to me

I'm supposed to be learning electronics, just havent got round to starting yet.

as for the comment about the CDP, the CD67 was only an entry ish level CDP when I bought it about 7-8 years ago, its hardly a great player, its also supposed to respond well to mods bu tI got told I'd gain even more from the addition of an external DAC thats why I tried this one.

Its probably a good base for you modders, but straight out of the box its pretty average.
Old 8th January 2007, 02:32 AM   #27
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt J
...............but I got told I'd gain even more from the addition of an external DAC..............................
It would have to be a very good external DAC with good jitter attenuation (to overcome the problems introduced by the SPDIF interface) - if it was to compete against a nice internal DAC in a one-box CD player.
Old 9th January 2007, 07:05 PM   #28
masi is offline masi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default oszillating opamp?

Hello Everybody

After first positive feedbacks in here about this little DAC I thought I’ll give it a try.
It arrived (in Switzerland) two days after ordering.

First listening impression were very positive, my “Noxon” (network audio player / Terratec) sounded much better with this green little box than through its original analogue outputs.
Anyway, I turned the volume a little over normal listening levels without any digital input signal, just to see whether this DAC really operates quiet or there may be any noise or hiss.
Then, the disaster happened: Both the ribbon tweeters went up in smoke. As you can imagine I really feel more than fooled.

The problem seems to be an oscillating opamp. The multimeter shows around 4 volts AC from analogue output to ground, on both left and right channel. I don’t have an oscilloscope so that’s all I can say right now.

What’s next: I think I’ll try to reverse engineer the DAC or at least its output stage, hopefully this will bring some more insights.

I wonder if other people’s DACs have similar problems or work flawless.

Regards
Mario
Old 9th January 2007, 07:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Makofoed-6sn7
Default Stripboard and HT.

Hi Franz,

Stripboard with copper can't hold up much voltage. My very beautiful AM transmitter with sub.min. tubes died that way. If you use a board without copper it will be fine. So my guess is that the stripboard is the culpit.

Also I used a selenrectifier, guess what happend when the RF amp tube shorted out...

Got rid of that hum?

Best regards,

Magnus
Old 9th January 2007, 08:10 PM   #30
Foxx510 is online now Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: oszillating opamp?

Quote:
Originally posted by masi
Hello Everybody

The problem seems to be an oscillating opamp. The multimeter shows around 4 volts AC from analogue output to ground, on both left and right channel.

Regards
Mario
Mine shows 26mV.

Hide this!Advertise here!