Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2006, 03:45 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

kanguru

The USB Audio Controllers must be about the cheapest for SPDIF out, optical.
Though isnít the M-Audio Audiophile USBís SPDIF in ~ coax?

BTW, you bought from COEMAudio?

IIRc, I tried email a few times about 14 months ago, but they didnít reply.
When & what did you get? Happy?

danon

Though (Post #3) ďIíve since been told offline that the USB on eg the M-Audio Audiophile USB *should accept input, so thatís the compromise Iím likely to useď
the eBay gear is reasonable $, and
http://www.aegophile.com/products/usbspdif.htm is good value too

FastEddy

As you can see, I am not a songwriter/ guitarist, just an audiophile trying to do a lot with not enough knowledge and $.

> very few professional music recording studios use USB anymore for bi-directional audio, most have converted to FireWire in order to record multi-channel 24bit/96k or better

Thatís probably why there are several on eBay; I got a M-Audio Audiophile USB for $75.

Cheers All (even that pesky guy!)
Old 31st October 2006, 04:53 AM   #12
hugz is offline hugz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick57

IIRc, I tried email a few times about 14 months ago, but they didnít reply.

I have bought from COEM australia *many* times (i swear half of my setup is chinese now....). In fact, right now i'm listening to my DAC-AH through that very same USB->SPDIF converter

They're real good to do business with. If you emailed them 14 months ago then you must have bene emailing COEM audio Hong Kong or COEM audio Singapore, because COEM audio Australia has only been in business for 12 months. COEM audio australia is owned by different people, and you'll definately a reply to emails

If you have any questions about the USB thing then i may be able to help out.. but I'm on exams at the moment and I didn't buy it long ago so I've yet to find the time to do anything approaching "critical listening"
Old 31st October 2006, 05:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

COEM have some groovy speakers

Cheers
Old 31st October 2006, 07:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kanguru
USB to coax SPDIF from COEMAudio in Brisbane
I just bought one of these to try out. I use a HagUSB at the moment. This is a completely different solution. It uses a Philips chip instead of the HagUSB's TI chip.
Old 31st October 2006, 08:02 AM   #15
kanguru is offline kanguru  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick57
What DAC do you use?
I'm listening to 4 DACs: Benchmark DAC1, Zhalou D2.5, Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box and the Arcam Alpha 9 CD player internal ring DAC. I was using a 4-input headphone amp, Classic 10.0 (yes, bought recently from COEMAudio), balancing levels and listening for differences.

Quote:
... isnít the M-Audio Audiophile USBís SPDIF in ~ coax?
Yes.

Quote:
I've bought the Zhalou D2.5 DAC and a Classic 10.0 preamp, but the preamp stopped working after a few days so I've sent it back for repair or replacement. After sales service is a good test of a company so I'll let you know how well and how soon they resolve the problem.

I'm dealing with John Pham (0431582396 pham@coemaudio.com.au) and I've found him professional and courteous so far.

When I get the preamp back then I can get back to my listening tests, but as an asside, I'd appreciate advice on how to run several SPDIF in from a single SPDIF out without creating jitter issues, etc.

Kanguru
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:28 AM   #16
anli is offline anli  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have had an M-Audio Audiophile USB connected via SPDIF to ...
kanguru,

Do you know which DAC (and other chips like controller and so on) is inside an M-Audio Audiophile USB?
Old 19th September 2007, 02:33 PM   #17
ptiJean is offline ptiJean  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'm listening to 4 DACs: Benchmark DAC1, Zhalou D2.5, Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box and the Arcam Alpha 9 CD player internal ring DAC.
Hello Kanguru,

I just wish to know how does the Zhalou D2.5a sound compared to the Benchmark dac1 or Electrocompaniet ECD1 ?

Do you know ?
Thank you alot,
Regards
Old 19th September 2007, 02:47 PM   #18
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

see this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGITAL-PCLIN...QQcmdZViewItem

Hag copy!!!
Old 19th September 2007, 04:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

" Do you know which DAC (and other chips like controller and so on) is inside an M-Audio Audiophile USB? ..."

Same chips as are inside the M-Audio Audiophile / FireWire ... ... which can now be found used ala eBay, et al, as M-Audio is upgrading both designs for sale in the Apple stores.
Old 30th January 2008, 02:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi I'm new to this so this is actually a question not a reply. I have a Tascam DA 30 DAT player & a Mac Ibook. Wanna make cds of my DAT tapes by going digitally into Mac & burning cds there. I guess I need an SPDIF to USB converter. There seem to be a few that go the other way (USB to SPDIF), can I use them or do I need SPDIF-USB?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!