USB to SPDIF converter, or that combined with good DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just getting a 2nd hand ThinkPad (sale in progress) to switch to audio off the notebook.

I want to bypass the 3.5 mm analog output, as that will have gone through the basic onboard DAC. (The music will be coming through "audiophile" 3 ways speakers I will make, with ribbon tweeters etc).

I need either a USB 1.1 to SPDIF converter, to hook to a good separate 96k DAC, or a combined unit. Preferably a 2nd hand off board sound card with USB in and a 96k DAC.

I thought I found some of the latter, eg
M-Audio Audiophile USB www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudiophileUSB-focus.html
M -Audio Sonica Theater www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/465/2
but it looks like the USBs in these are just for output, ie for musicians or others recording

I want something better than the DAC inn the combined Hagerman $US 129 USB > SPDIF & DAC.
http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html

Anyone know of a cheaper USB 1.1 to SPDIF converter?

Better to draw off digital something inside the notebook, or spend about $US 80 (I'm otside the US) for the Hagerman & build it? The latter seems excessive just to get a digital out . . how easy is drawing off digital something inside the notebook?

Thanks

Yes, I was hoping for something between the Hagerman hagUSB and the Chime.

I’ve since been told offline that the USB on eg the M-Audio Audiophile USB *should accept input, so that’s the compromise I’m likely to use

On a premium system I’d go for the Hagerman Chime

Cheers

I have had an M-Audio Audiophile USB connected via SPDIF to a Benchmark DAC1 and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s.

Fantastic sound, but there are simpler and cheaper ways to do it.

For example, a Sinovoice USB Audio Controller with optical SPDIF out goes for about $15 on eBay or you could get a (possibly higher quality and certainly more amenable to modding) USB to coax SPDIF from COEMAudio in Brisbane for $55 plus shipping

Kanguru
(p.s. just a satisfied customer of both eBay and COEMAudio.)

rick57:

See: http://industrialcomponent.com/maudio/us99130.html = includes cable and they ship to Australia.

See: http://industrialcomponent.com/maudio/fwsolo.html = includes FW cable and they ship to Australia ... ( http://firewirestuff.com/pcmcia.html ... adds FireWire to your laptop )

Note: very few professional music recording studios use USB anymore for bi-directional audio, most have converted to FireWire in order to record multi-channel 24bit/96k or better ... like this: http://industrialcomponent.com/maudio/lightbridge.html ...

There are some very, very good USB DACs in out there, but for pro, bi-directional music record and playback, bit the bullett and get with FireWire.

(Mercinary announcement: Those are my web sites and pages)

kanguru

The USB Audio Controllers must be about the cheapest for SPDIF out, optical.
Though isn’t the M-Audio Audiophile USB’s SPDIF in ~ coax?

BTW, you bought from COEMAudio?

IIRc, I tried email a few times about 14 months ago, but they didn’t reply.
When & what did you get? Happy?

danon

Though (Post #3) “I’ve since been told offline that the USB on eg the M-Audio Audiophile USB *should accept input, so that’s the compromise I’m likely to use“
the eBay gear is reasonable $, and
http://www.aegophile.com/products/usbspdif.htm is good value too

FastEddy

As you can see, I am not a songwriter/ guitarist, just an audiophile trying to do a lot with not enough knowledge and $.

> very few professional music recording studios use USB anymore for bi-directional audio, most have converted to FireWire in order to record multi-channel 24bit/96k or better

That’s probably why there are several on eBay; I got a M-Audio Audiophile USB for $75.

Cheers All (even that pesky guy!)

rick57 said:

IIRc, I tried email a few times about 14 months ago, but they didn’t reply.

I have bought from COEM australia *many* times (i swear half of my setup is chinese now....). In fact, right now i'm listening to my DAC-AH through that very same USB->SPDIF converter

They're real good to do business with. If you emailed them 14 months ago then you must have bene emailing COEM audio Hong Kong or COEM audio Singapore, because COEM audio Australia has only been in business for 12 months. COEM audio australia is owned by different people, and you'll definately a reply to emails

If you have any questions about the USB thing then i may be able to help out.. but I'm on exams at the moment and I didn't buy it long ago so I've yet to find the time to do anything approaching "critical listening"

rick57 said:
What DAC do you use?

I'm listening to 4 DACs: Benchmark DAC1, Zhalou D2.5, Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box and the Arcam Alpha 9 CD player internal ring DAC. I was using a 4-input headphone amp, Classic 10.0 (yes, bought recently from COEMAudio), balancing levels and listening for differences.

... isn’t the M-Audio Audiophile USB’s SPDIF in ~ coax?

Yes.

I've bought the Zhalou D2.5 DAC and a Classic 10.0 preamp, but the preamp stopped working after a few days so I've sent it back for repair or replacement. After sales service is a good test of a company so I'll let you know how well and how soon they resolve the problem.

I'm dealing with John Pham (0431582396 pham@coemaudio.com.au) and I've found him professional and courteous so far.

When I get the preamp back then I can get back to my listening tests, but as an asside, I'd appreciate advice on how to run several SPDIF in from a single SPDIF out without creating jitter issues, etc.

Kanguru

Hi I'm new to this so this is actually a question not a reply. I have a Tascam DA 30 DAT player & a Mac Ibook. Wanna make cds of my DAT tapes by going digitally into Mac & burning cds there. I guess I need an SPDIF to USB converter. There seem to be a few that go the other way (USB to SPDIF), can I use them or do I need SPDIF-USB?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.