PC - The Perfect Source ? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 09:55 AM   #111
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Well I found something like that to...

Auzentech X-Meridian

The shield of the prodigy is a nice touch though. Auzentech also has swapable op-amps. The pro's (compared to prodigy) would be the use of a new audio controller, the CMI-8788 and maybe better DAC's than the wolfonson, 4 pcs 24-bit/192kHz AK4396VF (120dB-part spec.) DACs for 7.1channel output. (24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback)

I also like the simplicity of the layout.. It eventualy alows me to easily extract I2S signal, but I guess that maybe an external dac is not that necessarely..

A nice review is here, I hope others will apear on the net...

review
Old 13th January 2007, 12:06 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SunRa
The shield of the prodigy is a nice touch though.
Well, its more of a metal cover with lots of big holes in it and no end caps than a shield.
Old 29th January 2007, 11:47 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Default Shielded card

Came across this card

Seems to be a more substantial cover than the one linked above. Not sure about the card itself as it is clearly aimed at gamers, but the concept of the cover could perhaps be diyed?
Old 29th January 2007, 12:12 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

I have seen that one some time ago. I also looked at a C-Media card.

They all offer I2S out.

The question I still have.
How do I get the I2S bus and the DAC, precision master-clocked and the PC with soundcard slave-clocked?

Cheers
Old 29th January 2007, 04:09 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

You could look to replace the crystals on the soundcard, but think you will find it difficult to find the right frequency in low jitter versions (I tried for c-media, but vendors are not interested in low volume) - most often there are two crystals to cover the different formats supported by the card. You might try Kwak clocks based on the existing crystals, but the clock generators on the cheap chipsets, c-media etc, might be the quality bottleneck here.

I hope in the future to set up a master slave situation with the PC through optical spdif. The jitter performance can be improved by synchronous reclocking, and optical isolates the dac from the pc electrically.

Put the master clock next to the dac, divide it down to whatever you want the output of your soundcard to be synced to, 44.1khz etc. send the divided clock as a spdif signal to the spdif input of the soundcard, the soundcard will sync to the incomming master clock and output via spdif to the dac. At the dac, reclock the soundcard ouptut with the masterclock. I've read it doesnt really matter (within reason) what jitter happens in the spdif to/from the dac as the same clock is used at either side of the interface. Therefore there would not be much advantage in using i2s in this instance. Please correct me if Im wrong.

as I mentioned before, the m-audio audiophile 2496 seems to sync to spdif input and is probably the cheapest (most linux friendly) card to provide this feature without hacking. I believe the linux alsa drivers will allow you to do this through the envy24 control panel.

I have a cheap card with an envy chip - it has spdif in and out. It certainly doesnt natively support sync to master clock, and Im unsure whether this is a hardware feature or software feature. However, given that on linux all envy cards use the same control panel it may be possible to use the linux drivers to force the card to do this. If I cant do this in software, I could remove the crystals and then tap the incomming spdif from the reciever chip and feed the external clock signal to the chip in place of the crystals. As would be done when applying this diy methiod to a cd player.

You could always do this with a Cmedia card which has spdif input. I have seen CMI8*** (cant remeber exact model) based cards spdif in/out for around 10 euros. Alternatively save up for an RME or Lynx and be done with it.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:41 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

How would you go about sending the divided clock as a spdif signal to the spdif input of the soundcard, I'v been trying to figure out an answer to this for weeks

Thanks

Dave
Old 7th November 2008, 08:40 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

This is something I never looked into much further.

Have you seen this thread?

Its always better to slave the transport blah blah blah
Old 7th November 2008, 01:31 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Thanks for replying, this is exactly what i was looking for

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!